Why have 80% of security prices stopped downloading?

For the last two days security prices won't update. When I call Quicken support I'm told the problem is with Morningstaar. How am I supposed to fix that? I'm using QuickenDeluxe 2020 and MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @maripow

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering what might be causing it to not update here. Have you recently updated the program? I'm wondering if we bring in a bit of a backup from prior to the issueif we'd have the same issue. In the article down below it'll show us how to restore a backup. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Once you've got the backup open try to update your investments and see if the prices are updating properly.  Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• maripow
    maripow Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did do an update last week. Apparently the new update is the issue. I keep a portfolio of individual securities, added into Quicken over 25 years, as they were purchased.

Apparently, to get the prices to update, I now have to edit each security, changing the "type" and " Asset Class". I then realized I was having the same issue with individual Vanguard mutual funds. This never existed before.

I spoke with Quicken, they say they will look into the issue. I recommended that they update Quicken 2007 which handles Securities far better than the current Quicken Deluxe, and sell it as a stand-alone. I appreciate your taking the time to give me a suggestion.Do you think, knowing what we know now, that it will work?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What "type and asset class" values are you changing?
    For example, many people classify a "Market Index" ETF as being a "Market Index" (which Q doesn't download quotes for) instead of it's proper classification as a stock or fund.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• maripow
    maripow Member ✭✭
    I'm changing Type from "other" to "stock"; Asset Class from Unclassified to Large Cap or small cap, or foreign. Previously, Quicken 2007, you just entered the symbol, and you could enter purchases with double entries.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, are those changes not "sticky".  Are they not there the next time you enter  Q?
    AND, are the securities that you're changing to "stock" truly stocks?  Or are they mutual funds? Or ETFs? or something  else?  An example would be helpful.
    And, the asset class shouldn't matter.

• maripow
    maripow Member ✭✭
    Once they're changed, they do stick..I also tried changing one security, AT&T, Type to "stock" and not changing the Asset Class. It worked!!! However, it did not work for Nestle S A, which is an ADR. I tried various combinations and permutations, but cannot get ADR prices. Any ideas?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADR prices aren't tracked by Q's quotes provider. You might see if you can get them from your brokerage firm.

• maripow
    maripow Member ✭✭
    Up until the recent update, Quicken portfolio pages always included publicly traded ADR prices....quotes, opening, closing, change. ADRs trade daily on the NYSE and OTC...ABB, Roche, Heineken, Schneider, BASF. .. quotes and prices are readily available. I doubt very much that a contractor like Morningstar is the omission problem, more likely it’s a software glitch in the update.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Member ✭✭
    I am also having this same problem.I believe this is a problem with the recent update of Quicken for Mac 2020. Some of my quotes for securities download however the majority of them do not. I used Quicken for Mac 2007 for many year but was forced to upgrade Quicken when I bought a new iMac. I was very happy with 2007 it worked well and flawlessly for years. That all changed when Mac went to 64 bit chip.
    You still can enter current prices for securities manually if you want to in the securities window under the individual security in the Price History. How ever if your holding a large mix of securities its way to much work.
    Thats what we bought Quicken for other wise I could create my own spread sheets. I hope they fix this problem very soon>
  • maripow
    maripow Member ✭✭
    I think there is a work around (a little labor intensive!) In the Porfolio view, click on a security that is showing zero price change. Click on "Edit Security" in the pop up window that appears. In the next window that comes up, make sure that "Type" shows "Stock" (my problem was it that was showing "Other")...if not,, select Stock. Hit Done, and then try the little wheel on the right of the Portfolio page to update prices and see what happens.
  • ada
    ada Member
    maripow, that was genius, thx.
  • maripow
    maripow Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Thank you.. [Removed-Inaccurate]
This discussion has been closed.