Do moved transactions duplicate an existing transaction?

After decades of Quicken use, I just discovered the MOVE transaction within the register.
The mind is blown!!
Does a moved transaction to another account that already have that transaction get duplicated? Or does Quicken recognize that it exists and suppresses it? Doubtful.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should duplicate the transaction in the account it was moved to.  You can test it yourself to see what happens by backing up your data file and then trying to move the transaction.  If it doesn't do what you want it to do, restore the back up file with no harm done.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that if you are talking about in a non investment account, because of a long standing bug in Quicken if you are moving a lot of transactions, it is recommended that you use copy transaction and then delete from the old account.

The reason is that Quicken will prompt on every single transaction if you really want to do it if the transaction is reconciled.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Note that if you are talking about in a non investment account, because of a long standing bug in Quicken if you are moving a lot of transactions, it is recommended that you use copy transaction and then delete from the old account.

The reason is that Quicken will prompt on every single transaction if you really want to do it if the transaction is reconciled.
    Thanks Chris
    I'm doing this with an investment, 401k, account, and I'm fairly sure that they aren't reconciled. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Investment accounts are very different.  The Move transactions feature is new feature that was just added in the last couple of years.  With investment accounts there isn't the prompt problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    I tested the move with 1 existing transaction, and surely enough, it got duplicated. Therefore Quicken does not suppress duplicates when using the MOVE command.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you need to move a transaction if it is already in the other account?  Then wouldn't you just need to delete it in the wrong account?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Nalgas
    Nalgas Member ✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    Why do you need to move a transaction if it is already in the other account?  Then wouldn't you just need to delete it in the wrong account?
    A valid question.
    I am trying to true up my 401k account, and the original one is messed up and with too many transactions to attempt checking by hand/eye; each purchase has 3 entries - 1 for the purchase, 1 for the company match, and 1 for the Roth purchase. And having 8 funds, makes that too tedious.
    So I created a new account, and used OSU (mistakenly) to try to start clean. I thought that moving the transactions would be quicker than entering them by hand.
    It's convoluted; I know.