Reinvestment of Dividends

I entered a dividend reinvestment (this morning, 10/10) for a mutual fund with a transaction date of 9/28/2020. Quicken used the price as if it was todays market price and updated the fund. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Smiley209

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Please include the name of the fund as well as the amount that incorrectly used in the dividend reinvestment.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Smiley209
    Smiley209 Member
    I am using Quicken 2020 Deluxe. Version: R29.20, Build 27.1.29.20

The mutual fund in question is Vanguard S&P 500 fund VFIAX. On the morning of 10/10/2020 I entered a reinvestment transaction dated 9/28/2020 using a share price of $309.225. Quicken properly added the correct number of shares and price on 9/28/2020 but it also repriced the fund on 10/10/2020 from the correct closing price on 10/9 of $321.04 (Friday's closing price) to $309.225.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you possibly mis-enter one time the date of the transaction as the default date of 10/10/20? 

You should be able to go to the security detail view, Update / Edit price history, and delete the price for 10/10.  That should make all good.  
  • Smiley209
    Smiley209 Member
    I did not miss-enter the date. As a matter of fact, I deleted the original entry, rebooted Quicken and reentered the transaction. I still got the same result. I did correct the wrong price by editing the price history. However, doing this is an extra step and should not be necessary.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So as a test, I today (10/12) entered a ReinvDiv transaction dated 10/10 for a MF $320 for 1 share.  There was no prior entry for that date for that fund.  The 320/share price went in for 10/10 and not for 10/12, just as I would normally expect.  
    As a matter of fact, I deleted the original entry, rebooted Quicken and reentered the transaction. 
    I am not disputing your mis-entry statement (if you didn't, you didn't), but FWIW once a transaction has created a price entry for a date, deleting the transaction does not delete the associated price entry.   
  • Smiley209
    Smiley209 Member
    q_lurker, you gave me a good idea. I entered a test transaction for VFIAX and could not duplicate the problem I encountered previously. For whatever reason it was what it was! While the problem seems to have resolved itself I have less confidence in Quicken now and will closely check future transactions to make sure it does not happen again.
This discussion has been closed.