Investment Accounts showing negative cash amount

I have linked several retirement accounts to Quicken, so that they update automatically. The total value does not match the total value that is on the actual account website. The difference seems to be a cash line with a negative amount. Why is that cash line there? it seems to correlate to contributions I have made. They should be part of the total value.

Best Answers

Answers

• larsoncjl
    larsoncjl Member ✭✭
    One account I have auto deposits made from checking. I only enter my net amount for my paycheck. If I itemize the paycheck, how will the investment account pick it up?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    larsoncjl said:
    One account I have auto deposits made from checking. I only enter my net amount for my paycheck. If I itemize the paycheck, how will the investment account pick it up?
    Via a transfer from the paycheck transaction to the retirement account.  In much the same vein that your taxes withheld would be expenses into appropriate accounts.
    The Paycheck Wizard can help you to set up a paycheck with  the Gross pay, and all of the various deductions and transfers.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• larsoncjl
    larsoncjl Member ✭✭
    Then how do I code the auto withdrawals from checking?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are they coded or entered now?  To What category? They should be a TRANSFER to the retirement account.  Which will build up the cash balance.  Then when you buy shares it will reduce the balance.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OOPS, I missed that this is a QMac thread.  And you've just brought to my attention another shortfall of QMac.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• larsoncjl
    larsoncjl Member ✭✭
    I appreciate everyone’s response. It took me a while, but I added the transfers and splits. I know I can edit many entries at the same time, but I could not find how to split entries from several transactions at once.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.