Security Shares / Market Values Not Accurate

Hello, I notice that the number of shares and market value of securities in my investment accounts are not accurate, even then I am updating directly from Schwab. I was able to update these to the correct number of shares and market values several months ago, but I've forgotten how to do this.

Can someone assist me with understanding how to manually update these amounts?

Best,
Ryan

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to understand the source of your problems, so we can suggest the best way to fix them and prevent them from happening again:

Is the incorrect number of shares an issue with all the securities in your account, or just some of them?

Following an update, is the price per share for the problem securities correct in Quicken, or does that disagree with the price on Schwab's website?

Are the discrepancies in the number of shares small fractions of a share, as might be caused by roundoff errors, or are there major differences?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Hi Jim, thanks for your reply. The incorrect number of shares is an issue with just some of the securities, not all of them. The price per share is correct. The discrepancies in the number of shares are significant and not round off errors.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, if you just want to force the share counts to be correct and don't care why they are wrong, you can click on the gear at the top right of the account's transaction list (register), choose Update share balance..., and enter the correct number of shares.

Note that this will probably make Quicken's performance and tax calculations incorrect for any securities you update this way.

If you care about these calculations, you will have to compare the transactions in Quicken to your Schwab statements and correct the errors.  
  • Thanks, when I do this, it adds a second security with the same symbol and does not update the existing security. Additionally, Quicken will not let me delete the existing security since it has "already been used in a transaction".
  • Jim_Harman
    Aha. In the Update share balance dialog, you should click the little down-arrow next to Security to Adjust and pick the correct one from the list rather than typing in a name.

If that doesn't fix it, please go to Tools > Security List and check the Show hidden Securities box at the bottom. 

For the problem securities, are there two similarly named securities and one of them is hidden?
  • That worked! Thank you!