Transaction matching for Chase checking

I've had this problem before, but my previous query was apparently closed.

I wrote a check 5904 to Village of Arlington Heights on 10/19/20 - this a printed check duly noted in the Quicken register.

When the bank returned the transaction after the check was cashed, it appears in my register as check 5904 written for 10/19/20 with a payee of "Check 5904".

Is there a way to get Quicken to recognize this is the same check? This is not rocket science.

The last time this happened, someone told me to drag the return transaction over the original check transaction, but this doesn't appear to do anything.

I can't use a rename rule because the returned transaction doesn't contain some mutated form of the payee name - is there some way to get Quicken to recognize that a transaction to Check xxxx is just that - an information return on that check number written on that day?

Environment: Quicken Mac Premier 2020 Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100), macOS 10.15.7 (Build 19H2), Chase Bank Direct Connect.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @vernea

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue.

When you look in the register do you see a transaction with a pencil and a blue dot? 

If so, one transaction will need to be dragged on top of the other transaction to manually match.

This will result in a blue pencil shown above.

Do you see this or do you see transactions with both blue dots? It's possible that duplicate transactions are being downloaded as these cannot be matched.

Whether this issue is related to Matching transactions or duplicate transactions the situation each needs different steps to correct the issue respectively, please let me know what you are seeing!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.