Online banking password problems

Quicken appears to be logging into my bank, where I have 5 accounts, and causing too many login attempts, invalidating my password. After some research, I deleted the keychain for the bank, then changed the Direct Connect connections to Quicken Connect, and reestablished a password with the bank. When I added the bank back into Quicken the downloads were fine and I thought I was ok. However, I now have the same problem again. I'm out of ideas on how to fix this. I've had Quicken for a long time and have never had this happen before. I have Catalina 10.5.7. What is causing this to happen and how do I fix it?

Answers

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharon, I suggest you read this thread: Daily Downloads with Direct Connect — Quicken

While there are many twists and turns in the saga of discovery, AND some mis-information, the gist of the solution is to change the username for your bank account and then update Quicken with that new username. This will stop whatever else is attempting to access your bank account because it does not know the new username.

Yes, the original issue was different but I believe the solution is the same.

Hope this helps, and please post back with your progress.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Sharon
    Sharon Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestion, lhossus. The username change with my bank was looking like a real pain. I sincerely believe Quicken is the problem. I have tested this a number of times by turning access to the bank on and off. Whenever I have either Direct or Quicken Connect turned on, I have lockout issues. When not turned on, I do not have issues. I am now managing the problem manually, by turning the connection on whenever I need a download, then turning each of the accounts within the bank back off immediately afterwards. This is definitely not a good solution, but effective. I will continue this way until I decide this isn't worth it and find another package or just do without.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Sharon

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you continue to experience this trouble.

I would like to investigate this issue a bit further to see if we can further isolate the cause of this behavior.

Can you please verify where the data file is stored?

This can be located by holding the "Control" key on the keyboard and clicking the file name along the top in Quicken.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

If the active file is stored in a cloud drive, this can cause the behavior that you have described.

Please let us know so we can get to the bottom of this!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Sharon
    Sharon Member ✭✭
    Thanks for responding, and thanks for the tip on checking this. Yesterday I found that Mobile, Web & Synch were turned on. This was a very accidental find, and I don't know if this happened during an update or what. I turned it off and as of this morning my password was ok at the bank. I just now turned it back on and sure enough within minutes my password needed to be changed. In rechecking the file path as you suggested still does not show a cloud drive or dropbox. Why would the Synch preference do this? At least I believe I now know the cause of this problem.
This discussion has been closed.