Add an Option to Remove Popup Helpers

JBDubhe
JBDubhe Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements
I have seen the comments requesting that the save link on a register page be changed from a floppy disc icon to the word "save". I have also seen the comments from July titled "Popup prevents register entry." I have been using Quicken for many years and found the popup helpful when the word "save" first disappeared. But, I doubt there are any users that need that reminder to popup every single time the want to save an entry. As others have reported, there is no room to activate the save without first dismissing the popup. This is even more problematic for the "more..." option. Yes, a popup is a thoughtful addition when something familiar disappears, but give us users some credit for being able to learn and retain information and provide an option to TURN OFF the popup helpers, I hadn't posted on this sooner because I was sure others would be complaining and I expected it to be fixed with each update. Please add a feature to disable the popup helpers.

JBDubhe
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @JBDubhe The biggest problem with these popup helpers, as you mentioned, is that they overlap the button, making it tricky or impossible to click it, until they go away.

This is why they seem so intrusive, the positioning needs to be fixed or they need to be eliminated altogether.

I think the user can figure out what the buttons do and would vote for eliminating them completely.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth for me the tool tip doesn't get in the way.  Yes it covers the button, but I'm always able to just click and it works.  What's more the tool tip has a delay before it comes up, so if you just click one the button right away instead of hovering on it that works even better.  Personally I never use the button, I just hit Enter.
    You could also use Alt+A, which they have put back in the later versions.

All of this is almost a comedy of cascading problems.

The first problem, Save takes up more space than the other icons and as such looks "out of place".  "Fix" remove and change to a floppy icon (got to love that such an old image is the "save icon", but there has never been anything else that people associate with "save").  Note at this point there wasn't any tool tip.

So then the threads with all the irate users come in, in two different ways.
    One is the button itself, the other is the shortcut.  The size itself is part of the complain because people are finding it harder to hit the smaller button.  And of course there is the "confusion" of "where did the save button go".  The Save button (with the a underlined to show it is the shortcut Alt+A).  

So the first thing they do is put back the Alt+A shortcut even though there isn't any "a" in the button any more (you just have to know that it once was Save, and such).  That silences the majority of complaints.  But OK need to help the "confused users" so add the tool tips.

You notice the one thing that they refuse to change?

I suppose that there could have been some customer out there that complained about the Save button being "not like the others", but I have never seen such a complaint on this forum.  Instead I chock that one up to "the GUI Police".  As in "This doesn't follow the GUI standards, it has to be changed".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I don't understand why they created a custom tooltip for these particular buttons, when everywhere else you see the Windows built-in tooltip for a control, which is not obtrusive and doesn't get in the way.

This is actually a tiny window, customized to look like a tooltip. The annoying part of it is the shadow which is shown by default and overlaps the buttons, causing these complaints.

If you uncheck this setting on the Visual Effects tab in Performance Options, the tooltip has a cleaner appearance and seems less irritating.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rich_M said:
    If you uncheck this setting on the Visual Effects tab in Performance Options, the tooltip has a cleaner appearance and seems less irritating.
    Well that is a Windows 10 thing, not really something that they have control over, other than maybe not using tool tips or draw the windows themselves.  Which they could do I suppose, look at the tool tip on a paycheck split in the register.

Then again I'm not much in favor of using non standard windows and such, tends to lead to problems.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mjaskilka
    mjaskilka Member ✭✭
    Great idea!! Please do it Quicken. The Save pop-up is annoying after just a couple of times.
  • The save pop up drives me crazy! Like the commenter above, I keep waiting for it to just go away in every update. Please give us an option to turn it off. It's not helpful and many times I have to click twice to enter a transaction - one to get rid of the pop up, then enter it. If someone loves the pop up, they can keep it on.
  • Agree with above - i want to turn off all popup windows
  • tdkit
    tdkit Member ✭✭

I've been using quicken since the 80's. The Save popup is still an issue and has been for a very long time. It pops up so fast you don't have time to click the save button. I'm a software developer and this could easily be remedied. Either add an option for user to turn off, delay the popup by another second or two, or just do away with it altogether. Last two options should be extremely easy. It's not a helpful popup and it's constantly annoying. I either have to be super fast at clicking the button and often try repeatedly or use the enter key. Please quicken team, do something about this!