Duplicate Bills showing

This is clearly a bug in the latest version of Quicken Mac. Some of my credit card bills show up twice—identically in the Bills & Income tab. If I delete one, both delete. Searching the community the one suggestion that pops up is Validate & Repair the data file. This does not exist for the Mac version. And clearly I am not the only one who is experiencing this.
Is Quicken aware of this and is a fix forthcoming?

[edited for readibilty]
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @J D Thomas

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, I do apologize for the issue you're having.

May I ask that you confirm where your data file stored?

You can find this information by holding the 'Control' key and selecting the file name along the top.

You should see a list shown below, this is the path to the file.

Do you see any mention of Dropbox or One Drive? Storing the active data file in a cloud drive can cause the type of issues you have described.

One other thing is are you currently using mobile and web? You can double check by going across the top to quicken > Preferences > mobile web and alerts. From here you'll be able to check if it's on. This will help us know if it's a similar issue to the one that windows users are experiencing. 

Once you get a chance let us know some more details and we'll see what we can do!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Take another look at the "duplicate" transactions on the second line of each line in the Bills & Income section. If it's like mine, the first entry shows the account for one side of the transaction and the second entry shows the account for the other side of the transaction. In other words, one will show your credit card account and the other will show your checking account (or whatever you pay the bill from).

It makes sense that if you delete one of them, the other also gets deleted since they are part of the same transaction.

This is the way that Quicken shows transfers in the Bills & Income section for Mac. If you have used the Windows version in the past, I think it only shows one side of the transaction.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    John_M said:
    Take another look at the "duplicate" transactions on the second line of each line in the Bills & Income section. If it's like mine, the first entry shows the account for one side of the transaction and the second entry shows the account for the other side of the transaction. In other words, one will show your credit card account and the other will show your checking account (or whatever you pay the bill from).
    Hate to muddy the water here, but I don't see "duplicate" transactions in the Bills & Income section. In particular, each of my 3 credit card bills have a single transaction in the register under the "Bills" tab in Bills & Income. This transaction shows the credit card account name, and below that name in a smaller font is the name of the bank account that will pay that bill - all on a single transaction.

If I go to the All Transactions register: there I see two separate transactions as you describe.

I wonder why you see two transactions in the Bills & Income register while I see only one.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @lhossus I did some testing and found out what is causing this for me (although I don't understand why).

First of all, I do not use Quicken Bill Pay. For credit cards, I just have them paid from my bank account using the credit card website. Since I do not know what the amount is going to be each month, I use $0 as a placeholder in Bills & Income and then change the amount in the register when I pay it. By the way, I don't use all of my credit cards each month, but there is a scheduled payment for each so that I know when to check my account each month after it closes.

This is what I see in the Bills & Income tab:

The weird thing is that if I edit amount of the bill on the Bills & Income screen, the "receiving" end of the transaction disappears.

If I then change it back to $0, the second transaction reappears.

This may not be what the OP had going on, so my experience may not apply.

By the way, I don't really ever see the duplicate, because I pay everything from the Home tab by clicking on the transaction showing in "Upcoming Bills & Income." There is only one transaction that shows there.

• jrhoyer
    jrhoyer Member ✭✭✭
    Having a similar issue as OP. Integrating with Bank of America, if I change a scheduled payment on the bank's site (amount or date), I get duplicated entries in Quicken and no way to alter or delete them. Hence, my Quicken registry is incorrect and utterly worthless to me.
  • bullbeast
    bullbeast Member ✭✭
    Hello everyone,

I can confirm the same issue and can confirm that this started happening on Version 5.18.0. Immediately after updating Quicken, I tried to pay my bills and noticed every credit card payee under the bills section was split into two bills.

I tried to delete one of the duplicates and it would remove both. The two bills seem to be linked to each other based on account with one being the credit card and the other being the account being paid from.

This is a definite bug in that update. I was hoping that 5.18.1 or 5.18.2 would have a fix however the problem is still showing up.

Would someone from the Quicken team please provide information to let us know if this issue is actively being worked on (i.e., replicate the problem, debug, fix, test, release) and provide a timeline for resolution?

Regards
    BB
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hello @bullbeast

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

At this time, there are no active tickets for duplicate bills as described in this post. I have been unable to recreate this issue in my own file, I apologize.

I would next recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem and reporting this issue using this form. Please include log files as well as a copy of a sanitized data file if comfortable.

This report will not receive a direct response, however, the information will be used for research purposes.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • AnneK48
    AnneK48 Member ✭✭✭
    All of a sudden when I enter a credit card bill to track I am seeing the double entry in Bills. As an example, I have a Macy's credit card and I enter the bill to track as a transfer from my checking account to Macy's. I am seeing both sides of the transaction. And when I delete the "wrong" one they both delete. My other credit cards are correct - just one instance. I have included some screen shots.

System: Quicken for Mac Version 5.18.2 (Build 518.35919.100); macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am able to duplicate the issue described above:
    1. In the Bills & Income > Bills tab, click on New Bill
    2. Click on Track, Other Bill or Income > Next.
    3. Type: Bill, Category: Transfer:[<a Banking account to pay from>], Account: <a billing account to be paid>. Click Next.
    4. Accept the default Monthly schedule. Click Next.
    This same duplication in the Bills & Income display also occurs for transactions Scheduled from a transaction register.

This in definitely a new misbehavior - one I have not encountered before. All my existing scheduled transactions appear once in the Bills & Income display and display the "Paid from" side of the transfer transaction.

PS: as an experiment, from the paying account register I tried duplicating an existing scheduled credit card bill payment. This duplicate exhibited the same two-transactions appearance in Bills & Income - but only after I "edited all instances" of that duplicate (changed payee, amount => $0.00, memo).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    I am experiencing the same issue.  All of a sudden in the Bills & Income section one of my credit cards is showing two entries - one listed as a transfer and one listed as Pay with Quick Pay.  Have no idea why - are there any answers to this "bug" or strange behavior?

I am running Quicken Premier
    mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

This discussion has been closed.