Can I print or download a list of Categories?

Options
basysaz
basysaz Member ✭✭
I'm taking over a Quicken account for a nonprofit arts organization and want to review Categories (chart of accounts) without going one-by-one through the Categories window. I've imported it into a new Quicken file on macOS and can see transactions and all other data. Can I print or download a list of current categories? Would be great to also see whether they are unused?

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, you can't print out the Category List. However, you can click the Action menu gear icon to display/remove unused categories. 

On a different note, I will say that, from my 10 years of helping in these forums, people who view Quicken's Category List as a chart of accounts usually experience frustration. It isn't a chart of accounts listing accounts you move $ in and out of. They are more labels of how you spend or receive money. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @John_in_NC  Actually, I think Quicken categories are pretty equivalent to a traditional chart of accounts -- but only for income and expenses. For assets & liabilities, in Quicken it's the list of Accounts, so there is somewhat of a mixed model in Quicken. But certainly all the categories for income and for expenses are the equivalent of a business general ledger's income and expense accounts. Because there can only be one category for each transaction amount, it's much the same as a debit or credit to a general ledger account. My $.02…

@basysaz  Another thing you can do is create a blank Quicken file if you want to see the default categories in Quicken Mac at a glace. Just do File > New, Start from Scratch, and make the initial bank account a manual account. Then you can review the untouched defalt cateogry list, if that's of any help. But you still can't print 'em. ;) The best you can do is stretch the category windo as tall as you can, and capture a screenshot, scroll down on escreenful, capture another screenshot, etc. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, you can't print out the Category List. However, you can click the Action menu gear icon to display/remove unused categories. 

On a different note, I will say that, from my 10 years of helping in these forums, people who view Quicken's Category List as a chart of accounts usually experience frustration. It isn't a chart of accounts listing accounts you move $ in and out of. They are more labels of how you spend or receive money. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @John_in_NC  Actually, I think Quicken categories are pretty equivalent to a traditional chart of accounts -- but only for income and expenses. For assets & liabilities, in Quicken it's the list of Accounts, so there is somewhat of a mixed model in Quicken. But certainly all the categories for income and for expenses are the equivalent of a business general ledger's income and expense accounts. Because there can only be one category for each transaction amount, it's much the same as a debit or credit to a general ledger account. My $.02…

@basysaz  Another thing you can do is create a blank Quicken file if you want to see the default categories in Quicken Mac at a glace. Just do File > New, Start from Scratch, and make the initial bank account a manual account. Then you can review the untouched defalt cateogry list, if that's of any help. But you still can't print 'em. ;) The best you can do is stretch the category windo as tall as you can, and capture a screenshot, scroll down on escreenful, capture another screenshot, etc. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • basysaz
    basysaz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks both for the comments.

@John_in_NC: I'm aware Quicken categories aren't exactly "accounts" in a COA (I use Quicken for my personal income and expense tracking) but they're giving me the idea of what the client was tracking before set up a *real* CoA for them in QuickBooks Online (yes, another company's product since the Great Schism).

@jacobs: Perusing the client's current Quicken file I find well over 100 apparent "out of the box" categories you get on initial install (e.g., pets, entertainment, etc.) that are unused. I deleted them, and other unused ones the client had set up, and *now* can do the screenshot trick you suggest.
This discussion has been closed.