I downloaded transactions to my daughter's Quicken file when logged into Windows as myself and....

I'm using Quicken for Windows Premier. I was logged into my daughter's Quicken file with her user id and logged into Windows using my own user id. I downloaded transactions from her institutions using her login. I thought I had done this before. But this time I noticed it had added some added some of my accounts to her Quicken file. Each of those added accounts were empty but had some download transactions to add. I deleted the accounts. I completely logged out of her Quicken account and went to my own Quicken file. All looked well. However today, I opened my Quicken file and discovered that the accounts that I had deleted from her account had deleted from my own Quicken file. That is the reason I had to restore my Quicken file from a backup. Fortunately I'm a backup maniac and after I conquered the available space problem on my primary disk drive, I recovered my file fully intact. Can anyone explain to me what happened? I can only guess it is because I was logged into Windows as myself. Thanks!

Best Answer

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I suspect your daughter's file originated as some form of copy of your file.  Quicken files have an internal ID that transfers to copies. The new QCS method creates a cloud file that is paired to that internal Quicken ID.  The cloud file treats both copies as related.

For the time being, you will have to choose which file is more important to maintain while Quicken works on a fix.

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I suspect your daughter's file originated as some form of copy of your file.  Quicken files have an internal ID that transfers to copies. The new QCS method creates a cloud file that is paired to that internal Quicken ID.  The cloud file treats both copies as related.

For the time being, you will have to choose which file is more important to maintain while Quicken works on a fix.
  • LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Thank you markus1957! It has been quite a while since I started my daughter's file but definitely her transactions started life in my file. It is conceivable that I started her file with a copy of some sort. Based on your answer, it may be that I have done the exact same transaction download previous to the start of the new QCS method without issue. I'll have to put her file in mothballs for now I guess. I hope the problem would not have happened if her file was attached to a different Quicken ID, because my other daughter is about to take ownership of her file (which came from my file) but with her own Quicken subscription. I definitely wouldn't want the problem with her file (she is 1111 miles away).

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.