Where is the setting to prevent Quicken from automatically installing the latest revision update?

Options
I'm using the subscription version (currently 2020). Ever since upgrading to the subscription version, Quicken has always downloaded and installed the latest update on launch. I've searched preferences (a couple of times over the last two years) & had concluded this to be something I'd have to live with; violating a long held rule of thumb I have with Intuit and Quicken products to always wait at least 3 months before installing the latest (R)elease update. ... Until, that is, the other day when I helped a fellow Quicken subscription user and found to my dismay that she can dismiss the latest release update.
Thanks in advance..

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you are doing a One Step Update Quicken checks for updates to Quicken itself.  After the update finishes it will you have the option to install the update or not.

So it would seem that you "have the choice", but that isn't the only time that Quicken checks for such updates.  Every few days it check at start up.  If it finds one it will install it without asking.

But there is a way to block this, it is a Windows setting.
    Click start button, and type Control Panel, Enter, and then -> Change User Account Control settings.  You need to set this setting so that Windows will notify you when any install program runs.  You can then cancel it.

Looks like this:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you are doing a One Step Update Quicken checks for updates to Quicken itself.  After the update finishes it will you have the option to install the update or not.

So it would seem that you "have the choice", but that isn't the only time that Quicken checks for such updates.  Every few days it check at start up.  If it finds one it will install it without asking.

But there is a way to block this, it is a Windows setting.
    Click start button, and type Control Panel, Enter, and then -> Change User Account Control settings.  You need to set this setting so that Windows will notify you when any install program runs.  You can then cancel it.

Looks like this:

Signature:
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @"ksroberson130 ,

What @Chris_QPW is correct, but if you don't open Quicken for a Month or longer, Quicken will launch the Update process, prior to opening Quicken.

I don't mind, because
    I like running with the latest R#, always.

And I always do Manual Backups, as oppose to Automatic Backups.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @"ksroberson130 ,

What @Chris_QPW is correct, but if you don't open Quicken for a Month or longer, Quicken will launch the Update process, prior to opening Quicken.

I don't mind, because I like running with the latest R#, always.

And I always do Manual Backups, as oppose to Automatic Backups.
    The above will always block the install no matter when it is started before Quicken runs.  It doesn't come up if Quicken is updated from inside of Quicken, but for that it either asks or the user has started it.  I believe that will happen within a few days when Quicken does that check, but certainly it will happen if people don't run Quicken very often.  I don't know exactly because like @thecreator I install the new patches when they come in.

But I should say I don't think your "3 month wait" will give you what you think it will.
    Back when Intuit was doing it they would do a patch about once a month until April and then stop.  So basically from then on it stayed stable for the rest of the year (bugs and all).

Now with the subscription I don't see how a person would come back three months later and pick the "stable release". First off from Quicken Inc the only patch available will be the last one.  You need to save all the patches (or get them from my website, but I recommend people keep their own copies) to install an older patch.

But just because a patch is 3 months old doesn't mean that it is "stable".  For that you need to research what problems are being reported.  And this forum would be terrible for trying to find out what problems a 3 month old patch had.

A much better approach would be to delay installing a patch, check out the forum for a couple of weeks and then install it if it doesn't have any major problems.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.