How can I undo something I just reconciled?

Options
I reconciled my latest bank statement. I carefully entered the right amounts using the match to statement feature. Everything matched when I hit the done button. I checked the register and the balance showed tens of thousands more dating back to several years. The balance column was fine before I performed the reconciliation. I don't know what might have caused this but I'm unsure how to undo it.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Luba Fedus
    Glad to hear that the Validate and Repair fixed the issue for you.

FYI - If you are using the Quicken Bill Manager (ie: Quick Pays and Check Pays) in your main "working" data file, and you then go to a backup file, the restored backup will not have QBM linked to the back-end services. You would then have to reset the QBM in the newly restored backup file.
    At this point, the guidance is to go to a backup file only when absolutely necessary. (In the past, we more often recommended going to a backup file early and often. Not so anymore.)

Validate and Repair (File > File Operations > Validate and Repair. Check the box to validate, click OK) is a very useful tool; do feel free to use V&R early and often.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The easiest and quickest way to correct any errors/issues is to restore your data file from a backup. Quicken provides automated backups and you should be performing manual backups to select from.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not an answer, but a suggestion for the future.  When you are reconciling to a "paper" statement, only enter the statement date and the balance, putting in $0 for the charges and payments.  The charges and payments have no bearing on the process, so don't waste your time entering.
    I've been doing it that way for years and those two amounts are not always easy to find on the statements as the FIs seem to be always reformatting the layout of them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Luba Fedus
    Luba Fedus Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I called Q tech support and the rep had never encountered a problem like this. Certain there might be a tech glitch I didn't want to use my backup file, redo everything I had just done only to encounter the same problem again. He suggested I try the Validate and Repair feature and that solved the problem!
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Luba Fedus
    Glad to hear that the Validate and Repair fixed the issue for you.

FYI - If you are using the Quicken Bill Manager (ie: Quick Pays and Check Pays) in your main "working" data file, and you then go to a backup file, the restored backup will not have QBM linked to the back-end services. You would then have to reset the QBM in the newly restored backup file.
    At this point, the guidance is to go to a backup file only when absolutely necessary. (In the past, we more often recommended going to a backup file early and often. Not so anymore.)

Validate and Repair (File > File Operations > Validate and Repair. Check the box to validate, click OK) is a very useful tool; do feel free to use V&R early and often.