Re: PNC updating problems. If I switch to Quicken Bill Pay can I avoid this?

MyQuser4321
MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
I am fed up with update problems between PNC Bank and Quicken (Mac). I wonder if I switch to Quicken Bill Pay will I still have the same problem updating my accounts? Will I have to switch banks to avoid this updating accounts problem? Is there a best bank for avoiding this update issue?

Best Answers

• MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for the information and advice. There's a new Chase office near me and a Bank of America. I will check them out and may just replace the PNC credit card account. I had these connection problems way before I switched from Windows to Mac. Always came down who is to blame? Quicken or the bank? Since converting to Quicken subscription for Mac I have much more confidence in Quicken,

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What exact problem are you having?

If the problem is updating transactions then adding in Quicken Bill Pay won't do anything for you except add more problems.  It is "bill pay" it has nothing to do with downloading transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your connection method? It should be Direct Connect. I am having zero issues with checking and savings.
  • MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Mac; Connection: Direct Connect. Quicken has told me that they have 2 or three error codes regarding updating accounts with PNC Bank and they have been "escalating efforts" to resolve the problem. I have not seen an error code, but I have been getting an "incomplete update" message for three days. Because I cannot draw the transactions into one PNC credit card account through the normal "update" process, I am having to hand enter 52 transactions into that account in order to reconcile it, then pay the bill. This kind of problem pops up about once a year. I'm hoping to find a way to escape these problems with the bank.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PNC checking and savings uses (should use) Direct Connect as previously stated. PNC credit card (unfortunately) uses EWC (now QCS) and has for the last several weeks (since 10/24 for me) been unable to update. Both Quicken and PNC are aware of the issue and it will get sorted, albeit not quick enough for the majority of users.
  • MyQuser4321
    MyQuser4321 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for the information and advice. There's a new Chase office near me and a Bank of America. I will check them out and may just replace the PNC credit card account. I had these connection problems way before I switched from Windows to Mac. Always came down who is to blame? Quicken or the bank? Since converting to Quicken subscription for Mac I have much more confidence in Quicken,
  • umpteentimes
    umpteentimes Member ✭✭
    I have not been about to update Quicken through PNC Bank for more than two weeks. I am using a Windows computer and Direct Connect. When I try to connect, I receive a request for my SS number and Quicken Pin, which makes no sense. I usually sign in with my log on and password. A CC-503 error message is displayed no matter what I fill in.
    I have reset my account in Quicken and changed passwords at PNC, all to no avail. Thank you for your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MyQuser4321 note that if you are going to switch banks, not just get a credit card then I would recommend Chase over Bank of America.  Chase has Direct Connect for free, and even bill pay through Quicken.  Bank of America on the other hand has stopped allowing new customers from using Direct Connect.  You would have had to be grandfathered into it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dioxide45
    dioxide45 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Here is my month long ordeal with PNC and Quicken. I have Quicken for Mac, but it seems that connection issues aren't limited to just Mac users. On the Mac, you can use either Direct Connect or Quicken Connect (Quicken Connect is the same as Express Web Connect) Sometime around the end of September, my Quicken Connect simply stopped syncing transaction. Lots of errors. Between our business, my wife and I, we have eight PNC accounts (two Virtual Wallet account for six of those). First the Virtual Wallets stopped working, then the Performance Checking a few days later. The business account actually worked for a while, but finally stopped about a week ago.

Working through the issues early on I requested a Quicken PIN through my online account. I don't know if they always had this PIN requirement or not, but I found the option when trying to solve my issues. Best I can tell, the PIN is required to setup and connect via Direct Connect. It isn't needed for Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect).

After I received my PIN mailer, I switched my setup to Direct Connect and was able to sync my transactions at least one time. Then it quit again. I haven't been able to connect successfully in over a week.

I also tried downloading transactions manually, but Quicken wouldn't let me link the downloaded accounts to my accounts in Quicken. I suspect this is because they were already linked using Quicken Connect/Direct Connect. So yesterday I simply disabled automatic downloads for all my PNC accounts in Quicken. Then I went and manually downloaded my transactions from the website. THis time when they were imported, I was able to link them to the correct accounts and reconcile my transactions.

While having to manually download transactions isn't ideal, I will continue to do this until I see it reported here that things are working again. They key to manually downloading is you first have to turn off the automatic downloads on each account in Quicken. If you don't, you won't be able to link the accounts properly from the imported download.
This discussion has been closed.