"Unknown institution" error keeps coming up when I try to download transactions

Jbest
Jbest Member ✭✭
I have been receiving an "unknown institution" error whenever I try to manually update accounts from two different banks - CIBC (Canada) and TD Waterhouse. I am using a Mac (OS 10.15.7), on the most recent version of the software (subscription). I download the QFX file but when I double click on it I get the same error message followed by a time out message. I tried to sort it out through a chat help session last week (ticket 8055103) but no luck. I think the problem must be at the Quicken end, since these are two different banks. The auto-updating bank accounts are updating without a problem. Thanks for any help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Jbest

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering what exactly could be happening here. If you wouldn't mind i'd like to see if we're able to import the qfx files into a test file to see if it's something that is specific to the file. 

To start a test file in the top left select file > new. Select start from scratch and select next. Select the categories that best fit the description if asked and hit next. Select don't use mobile and web and select add account in the bottom right. From here you can close the add account screen. Try again to import into this new file and see if you are able to. From there we'll know information on if we're just having some issues with the original or the import. Once you get a chance let us know!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Jbest
    Jbest Member ✭✭
    Hi Francisco,

I took all the steps that you outlined and created a test file and tried to import the QFX file but had the same problem. In fact, I went through these same steps with the person who was helping me last week via chat. We tried all sorts of strategies to see if we could get the import to work, but without success. I tried importing QFX files from two different financial institutions (that used to work fine before) and had the same problem.

The only thing I can think of is that it happened after I had updated Quicken (to work with OS Catalina, which I had just upgraded to). I wonder if the latest version has a problem with web connect for certain institutions?

I did upload my logs so that the person who was helping me could take a closer look (see ticket info). He told me the issue should probably be escalated, but that required me to stay on the chat quite a bit longer, and I had already been trying to figure the problem out with him for almost two hours by then.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could fix this. If I can’t download my visa and checking account files, I can’t do a cash flow analysis - which is the whole reason I’m using Quicken. I recently switched from Mint, but have been finding it very frustrating getting Quicken to work effectively with Canadian banks.

Thanks for any help!
  • Jbest
    Jbest Member ✭✭
    Hi there,
    I'm afraid I only got around to working on this issue today, and the link had expired. Can you please resend it? Thanks so much for providing a possible solution.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @Jbest

You should be receiving another email from us here shortly so that you're able to download the file. Once you get a chance let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Jbest
    Jbest Member ✭✭
    Thank you!!!! It worked!!!! :)
  • Quicken Francisco
    @Jbest

Awesome to hear you were able to get it working! If you do run into any other issues please let us know!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Jbest
    Jbest Member ✭✭
    Hi, I had great help from the moderation Quicken Francisco about a week ago when I had he "unknown institution" problem. However, I have had problems with the Mac that I had originally downloaded Quicken on, and am now having to use a different computer. I have successfully downloaded Quicken but am now having the same problem (which I assume is again related to the fidir.txt file. Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy of the correct one. Could you possibly send me another link to download the correct file? I know how to follow the same directions as last time.

Thanks!
  • Quicken Francisco

Hello @Jbest

Thank you for reaching out on the community. It sounds like you may be having the same issues again so I'll be happy to send you the fidir file again so that you're able to download and attempt to see if that fixes our issue. In a short while you should receive the email again with the download.

Once you've given it another shot let us know if it's resolved. If not we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Hi, I am having the same problem. Can I get a copy of the the fidir replacement.txt file?

Thanks
  • I forgot to mention that the last time I was able to update my banking information was the end of November 2020 but no luck since then.
  • I just spent 2 hours with 2 agents on the Quicken chat board. They were not able to send me a replacement fidir file because they were not aware of it. Can someone please send me a link to the replacement file.

Thank you
  • Quicken Francisco
    Hello @QueenM@rgot

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

I have sent you a direct message, please navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Thank you,

-Quicken Francisco

This discussion has been closed.