Vanguard LifeStrategy® 60% Equity Fund - how to set up

I’m about to set up a modest Vanguard LifeStrategy® 60% Equity Fund investment.

Has anyone done this, or for a similar investment?

Are there any tips and or pitfalls?

I’d like to set it up right first time so as to avoid making changes later, which can be troublesome as you know.

QuickPeter
MacBook Pro running Quicken for Mac 2017 Ver 4.8.6

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @QuickPeter

It believe that the fund you are going to invest in (the Vanguard LifeStrategy® 60% Equity Fund) is not offered directly to retail consumers.  Is that correct?  If so, you will need to "setup" in Quicken the account (likely a pension, profit sharing, or similar account) of the brokerage firm, investment firm, insurance company, or other fiduciary/plan that will hold that investment.  This is the entity that you receive statements from, or if you get statements from your current or former employer, the financial institution that the employer uses to make/hold those investments.

If you can you tell us the name of that entity, it will help us to provide information to help you.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx, thanks for your interest.

To begin with, I need to let you know that I’m based in England, UK. That might make difference.

The fund is a mutual fund offered by Vanguard from their UK website. It’s definitely a retail product available to all.

The entity you refer to is Vanguard, which are a large US organisation, right?

I created accounts for similar investments some time ago on my MacBook Pro Quicken for Mac 2017 and just wanted to be reminded of the steps that I need to take.

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx, thanks for spending your time doing this research. I'm very grateful.

I don't mind entering the data manually and tracking the price changes.
    In fact, I've had to do this since I started using Quicken (in England, UK) because we cannot access these features.

It's really not a problem to me because I've only got a relatively small amount of investments.

"The steps are "Add Account" > "Offline Account" > .... "
    Yes, that is familiar. It's all coming back to me now!

I will start to set up the account and as you say, if I hit problems I'll be back here asking for advice - which I always get. I don't know how I'd manage without this forum.

It was interesting to me to know where Vanguard are based. They are quite successful here I believe but seem to keep a very low profile - no big advertisements or press releases. That may be good, because it helps keep the fees down :smile:

Thanks again, QuickPeter
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dan Glynhampton  Can you offer any advice/assistance here?
    @quickpeter, Dan is a UK based SuperUser of Quicken.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @QuickPeter,

Feel free to revert!

Take care.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA, thanks for doing that. Let's see what happens. It would be nice to have a UK Buddy! QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx, I will - thanks. QuickPeter
This discussion has been closed.