How to "undo" reconciliation

I'm new to Quicken. My bank register is a mess. Would have been easier if I had manually entered every transaction until I get a grip on how to use Quicken. That said, I would like to undo all reconciled transactions so I can go one month at a time and work to balance this with what my bank statements reflect. Is this possible? I will enter an opening balance as of December 31 2019 and then begin entering transactions that began January 1 2020. I'll reconcile one month at a time. Thank you

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    The basic process of undoing reconciliations is to change the R in the "Clr" column to a c or a blank.
    You can do this one at a time, but you can also do it using the typical Windows convention of selecting the first item to be changed in the register, scrolling down and, while holding the Shift key, selecting another item.  All items in between will also be selected.  The right-click the mouse and click on "Reconcile status."
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You have the procedure slightly wrong.
    1. Select the first transaction normally with a left click.
    2. Scroll to the last transaction.
    3. Now hold Shift while left-clicking the last transaction. All from first to last should now be selected.
    4. Release Shift and proceed with whatever action you want to perform on the selected transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    The basic process of undoing reconciliations is to change the R in the "Clr" column to a c or a blank.
    You can do this one at a time, but you can also do it using the typical Windows convention of selecting the first item to be changed in the register, scrolling down and, while holding the Shift key, selecting another item.  All items in between will also be selected.  The right-click the mouse and click on "Reconcile status."
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Joanne said:
    I will enter an opening balance as of December 31 2019 and then begin entering transactions that began January 1 2020. I'll reconcile one month at a time.
    If you mean that you want to start all over from scratch and re-enter all the transactions, you might want to just create a fresh, empty new Quicken data file.
    File > New Quicken File will get you a virgin data file.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• chefjoanne
    chefjoanne Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I've thought about that. Can you tell me how to erase all that's in Quicken right now so I can start over? I'll manually enter everything beginning Jan 1 2020 up to date and then try downloading the portion of the year that's left and see what happens.
  • chefjoanne
    chefjoanne Member ✭✭
    Tom...Thank you. I will try that first and if it complicates the mess I've created, I'll follow up with Rockets suggestion. Thank you both
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    You don't have to erase anything. You simply abandon your original data file in favor of the new one. The first one was probably named QDATA.QDF. You can create a new .QDF file with any name you like as long as it ends in .QDF

• chefjoanne
    chefjoanne Member ✭✭
    Okay. Got it. Thank you Rocket
  • chefjoanne
    chefjoanne Member ✭✭
    Tom....The select transaction, scroll down while holding shift key, select another transaction etc doesn't highlight any transactions. I have Quicken Deluxe. Maybe it's different.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    You have the procedure slightly wrong.
    1. Select the first transaction normally with a left click.
    2. Scroll to the last transaction.
    3. Now hold Shift while left-clicking the last transaction. All from first to last should now be selected.
    4. Release Shift and proceed with whatever action you want to perform on the selected transactions.

This discussion has been closed.