Reporting holdings of individual securities

Quicken for Mac does not permit me to create reports showing my holdings across different brokerage accounts. For example, such a report would, for example, let me see my holdings of Apple and Google across my different brokerage accounts. Can anyone solve this problem? I don't think Quicken offers this common sense feature.

Best Answer

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2020
    Hi, tony frog:

I suggest you select the parent category "Investing" in the sidebar, and this will now cause you to view things across all your investing accounts at once. Click on Portfolio at the top to select that view.

Now, you can use the various popups to examine things: For example, you might want to look at Portfolio Value for the first popup, and change the second one to group by Security. This will allow you to see the total for Apple and Google in all your various brokerage accounts.

You can print this as a report or export to CSV via the options to the upper right of the portfolio view.

Play around in this view to learn your options-I suspect it will do more than you think it does.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you click on Investing in the left sidebar to include all your investment accounts, then click on Portfolio in the main window, and set the second filter to "Group by Security"…

…the result is a listing of all your securities, across all your accounts. Is this what you're looking for? You can print this as a report and you can export to a spreadsheet if you wish.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tonyfrog
    tonyfrog Member ✭✭
    This is a start, but falls far short of what reasonable investment software should be able to report. For example, the following cannot be done, as far as I can tell:

..In the consolidated list of securities produced as you outline above, I cannot tell how many shares are in each account, or in fact which account(s) hold the shares
    ..I cannot create a custom report such as all my healthcare stocks where I select such stocks in designing the report. This would be possible if I could define additional security types.

These and other reports I need are not pie in the sky - they were easily available in earlier versions of Quicken for Mac. If such reports are available, please show me how. Absent this I must conclude that Quicken is going backward, not forward in its product development.
  • tonyfrog
    tonyfrog Member ✭✭
    Quicken has moved forward in transactional processing and reporting, but little or any of the development effort seems to be directed at investing and investment reporting. Let's hope this changes. I hope they keep in mind that many of us get the funds for transactions from our investing.
  • jacobs
    @tonyfrog  My guess, reading between the lines of what the product manager has posted, is that they have been working for several years to build out the functionality of the new reports engine and interface for banking accounts, and they're trying to get all of it working well before creating all-new reports for investments. Banking and Investing accounts in Quicken Mac were developed at different times using different programming environments, so investment reports will likely be similar but different under the hood, and they don't want to waste time continually refining and re-doing things in two places until they 'get it right' in the first place. I hope investing reports are on the roadmap, just waiting for them to get banking reports done.
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken for Mac 2007 was 13 years ago, so we investors have been waiting a long time for a way to follow individual securities. Everything else digital has progressed a lot in that time. Why is it taking so long to get basic information for investments?
  • jacobs
    @megnmac  You can certainly follow individual securities holdings in Quicken Mac. There are some limits in reporting on investments, but you can do a lot -- far more than "basic information" in my opinion. We still need advanced reporting for investments, to be sure, but I find I can get most of the investing information I need with the various settings available in the Portfolio view.
  • tonyfrog
    tonyfrog Member ✭✭
    Please show me how to create the following reports:
    -The accounts in which I hold Apple and Google shares
    -My healthcare holdings, both shares and funds (I can identify which investments are to be included)

I have tried to create such reports and have been unable to do so. They are not advanced reports but are just basic and were included in older Quicken versions.
This discussion has been closed.