When will Quicken support the brand new Apple Silicon Mac + MacOS (Big Sur) ?

wglenn
wglenn Member
Will Quicken updates be available to support the new upcoming Apple silicone Macs?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Also edited the topic title....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @wglenn  Of course Quicken will support the new ARM-based Macs; Apple has said this is the future of the Mac platform going forward, and I'm sure Quicken isn't about to give up on the Mac market. The question you're really asking is: when will Quicken run on those new Macs.

Quicken never pre-announces new releases. And they never pre-announce support for new macOS releases. But in every case, by the time Apple releases a new verison, or very shortly thereafter, Quicken runs on it. Undoubtedly Apple's goal is to make it like the transition from PowerPC to Intel Macs 14 years ago, where the software called Rosetta made it possible for all old apps to run on the new Macs, until developers over weeks, months, and years re-wrote their applications as needed to run natively on the Intel hardware. Will this transition be as painless and seemless for users as that one? We won't know until Apple is ready to release the first of the new Macs.

Will Quicken just run natively? Will it require minor tweaks? Will it require larger re-writing? We don't know, and Quicken is unlikely to say anything -- at least until the new Macs are officially unveiled or ship. While Apple has said most developers can update and recompile their code in just a few days, Quicken Mac has components of code developed at different times over the past 12 years using different coding tools, and what we don't know is whether any of the existing code base can't be easily moved into the future. I'd expect we'll get answers to these questions from Quicken when Apple officially announces (rumored in three weeks) or ships (a week or two later) the new Macs.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Following.  I will be purchasing the new MacBook Pro.  Interested to know if Quicken will run on Silicon Mac w/ Big Sur.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Today - 11/10/20 - new Apple Silicon Mac..... available

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    Almost all existing Mac apps will run on the new Macs immediately and without modification because of the behind-the-scenes Rosetta 2 code in macO Big Sur. It's an improved approach to the original Rosetta emulation which allowed Power PC applications to run on Intel Macs when Apple made that switch 14 years ago. So there should be no worries about Quicken on one of the new Macs.

But for maximum speed, the next step forward will be when Quicken releases a "universal binary" version of Quicken Mac, which will be compiled to run natively (not using Rosetta 2 emulation) on the new ARM-powered Macs as well as Intel-powered Macs. Quicken rarely pre-announces new releases, so we may have to wait for a little bit until the next Quicken release to see if it is a native universal binary.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @jacobs.  I am going to order the new MacBook this evening.  
  • redgar
    redgar Member ✭✭
    MacBook Air hits my doorstep Monday...Quicken will be one of the first things to go in it and fingers crossed.
  • jacobs
    @redgar I'd expect it to work right out of the box. No one has reported problems that I've seen with Quicken Mac during the macOS Big Sur beta period. Obviously, no users have been testing on the new Apple hardware -- but the Quicken developers surely have. If Quicken needs any tweaks for macOS Big Sur or Apple's new M1 chip, I'd expect there would be an announcement about it from Quicken very soon.
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    At least for me it doesn't work, Gatekeeper is reporting that Quicken isn't a trusted developer and refuses to install...
  • scott.kramer
    scott.kramer Member ✭✭
    > @"scott.kramer" said:
    > At least for me it doesn't work, Gatekeeper is reporting that Quicken isn't a trusted developer and refuses to install...

never mind, Big Sur doesn't have the allow installation from Internet, you have to run it a couple of times and then go into Security and Privacy and allow the installation..
  • terriego
    terriego Member ✭✭
    Can anyone provide feedback and experiences on whether the new silicone chip, Rosetta and Big Sur work with Quicken for Mac?
  • jacobs
    Yes, yes and yes. Well actually, if you use a new M1-powered Mac, with Quicken you will not be using Rosetta because it's a universal app. The first line of the product manager's post about Quicken Mac's 6.0 release stated: "Today we're starting to roll out v6.0 which is a Universal app meaning it takes full advantage of the power and speed of new Apple Silicon M1 Macs." For those who don't have a shiny new Mac, Quicken works fine on Big Sur with Rosetta on Intel-powered Macs. 
  • terriego
    terriego Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Jacobs. I haven't had this much anxiety over new technology since Lion. Ha, ha. Happy Thanksgiving.
  • jacobs
    Actually, the PowerPC to Intel transition generated much more anxiety, because it basically had never been done before, and we just didn't know how well it could work. The Intel to M1 transition has provoked much less anxiety, because Apple has a track record for doing this successfully and smoothly -- and reviving the code name of Rosetta reassures us we've been there and done that before. ;)
This discussion has been closed.