Why is the _RlzdGain in Planning/Budget show the cash amount from a sale instead of the actual gain

Why is the _RlzdGain in Planning/Budget show the cash amount from a sale instead of the actual gain

Best Answer

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    This has come up before.  My recollection is that the reason is that budgeting has to do with managing cash, not taxes, profits etc.  The gross sales proceeds provide cash that one could budget to use at a future time, perhaps to make up a known loss of income.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Gaboum
    Gaboum Member ✭✭
    But I thought budgeting is to plan income and expenses... so I think thank investment income like capital gain should be taken into account
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

• Gaboum
    Gaboum Member ✭✭
    Tanks Bob_L for the info...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gaboum said:
    But I thought budgeting is to plan income and expenses... so I think thank investment income like capital gain should be taken into account
    "Income" is an ambiguous term.

To the IRS it is "taxable income".  So what I'm going to pay tax on is Profit minus Cost.

To a person that is trying to see if they have enough money to pay for groceries, it is how much money they have in the account after their paycheck shows up.

Budgeting in that later.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Gaboum
    Gaboum Member ✭✭
    I think that if the planning/budget treats the Dividends and interests income correctly, it should do the same for Realized Gain/loss in my humble opinion.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    You can post a suggestion here if you like:
    https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas
     May already be one there...I don't know.

This discussion has been closed.