Capital Gains Report incorrect 0.1% of time

Example of problem, chosen since this is the only entry for this security in year:
2020-02-10 Bought 3 CAT Puts for $$3,577.20
2020-03-02 Sold 3 CAT Puts for $5,332.68

Capital Gains Report:
Bought 2020-02-10 Sol 2020-03-02 Gross Proceeds $6,900.70 Cost Basis -$1,543.01 Realized Gains/Loss $8443.71 Gain/Loss % -547.22%

I have hundreds of other entries that are reported correctly. I have deleted both transactions & reentered a couple of times. I have done both the Validate & Repair, and the Rebuild investing lots, with no change.

This totally messes up my Capital Gains Report for Taxes, with the only advantage that the 9 invalid entries located so far have a negative value in the Cost Basis field, which is patently wrong!!

I am using the Canadian version of Quicken Subscription
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @jgpeters6019

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering if it may have to do with any specific securities. It's happened a couple of times so it sounds like it may be a couple of different securities. I'd like to see if I could potentially try replicating this on my side as well. If you wouldn't mind could I get a screenshot of a couple of the transactions so that I'm able to try replicating the issue. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not due to it only happening occasionally and without a consistent variable within those transactions. I'll leave an article on how to screenshot down below. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

As a side note you may need to add the photos by dragging them into the reply box in the community instead of how it is listed in the post. 

Once you have a chance let me know some more details and I'll see what I can find out!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jgpeters6019
    The information you provided suggests that you have had prior transactions (buys and sells) of a security called "CAT Puts".  It would appear to me that some of those priors were not properly handled.  

Not an area I am conversant on, but here are a couple of discussions that may help:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7774535/managing-options-in-quicken
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20017270#Comment_20017270
  • jgpeters6019
    jgpeters6019 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help! What I determined is that when I use the same symbol for my options, ex CAT Put as both a Naked Put & a Long Put, so I do ShtSell/CvrShrt and then do a Bought/Sold, Quicken gets confused. So I created a new symbol CAT Put LP (for long Put) and the issue is resolved. Note that I do a lot of options, and I gave up creating a new symbol for each Expiry/Strike Price.
This discussion has been closed.