Can't change Account Type (Just another reason I still use the Windows version)

Options
Chet-NYC62
Chet-NYC62 Member ✭✭✭
First, I've been using Quicken for over 20 years. Since 2012, I've had a Mac but still use the Windows version (via Parallels) because the Mac version, no matter what improvement are made, seriously just sucks. I want to punch the computer screen.

Every time there is an update I give QMac another try, only to be disappointed one more time. Seriously, why on God's green earth did the programmers think it was a good idea to reinvent the wheel...with a square one? They couldn't just move the entire look, feel, and features of the Windows version to MacOS?

My latest problem is when I imported my QWin file to QMac 6.0, it put a pile of retirement accounts under Brokerage and the capability to change that to IRA or 401k is grayed out in the account edit window. If anyone has a clue to fix that, let me know.

The other things that keep from using the Mac version:

• Clicking on a transaction should set it to reviewed
• Ability to have account listing on right side of window
• Program does not show “matched” transactions like Windows version.
• Ability to type in Memo section of register on one click
• Ability to have the credit card payment be the running balance of the account
• No Paycheck “wizard”
• Ability to use arrow key to navigate in split window
• No renaming facility to help with matching downloaded transactions to scheduled ones already in register.
• In Spending Over Time report, I can only pick months as time periods, not individual days- like from the 27th to the 27th- for a total balance of credit cards.
• Downloads of certain things- like my credit card payments show matched to the wrong account, no matter what I try to do to change it. I have change them manually.

I wrote that list up a while back...some feature may now be present in ver 6.0.
Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I can help on some of these but not all…

• Ability to have account listing on right side of window

You're correct that this isn't the interface of Quicken Mac. But I'm not sure why that would prevent you from using Quicken Mac. If it's just your personal preference, that's fine, but it isn't an actual shortcoming with the program. 

• Ability to type in Memo section of register on one click

I'm not sure what you mean by "on one click". It sounds like perhaps you don't have the Memo column visible in your register, so you're having to open the transaction to get to the details screen. All you need to do is add the Memo column to your registers, and you can tab into it as you're entering a transaction. 

• Ability to have the credit card payment be the running balance of the account

I'm also not clear about this one. If you have a credit card account in Quicken, it will show a running balance of the transactions in the account, just like a checking or other account. You refer to the credit card payment; are you saying you want you last payment to be shown as the account balance? That's not your account balance. So perhaps I'm misunderstanding. 

• No Paycheck “wizard”

True, there's no "wizard" like Windows, but it's very easy to set up a saved QuickFill transaction for your paycheck(s) with split lines for all your deductions. you can edit the QuickFill if you have a permanent change, or edit the individual transaction if you have a one-time change. Handling paychecks in Quicken Mac is very clean and straightforward.

• Ability to use arrow key to navigate in split window

Yup, that would be nice. For most splits which don't have a lot of split lines, clicking Tab or Shift-Tab a few times to move up or down a line gets the job done, although a single arrow click would be better. This would be nice to have, but I don't find its absence slows me down too much.

• No renaming facility to help with matching downloaded transactions to scheduled ones already in register.

Perhaps you wrote this before renaming rules were added to Quicken Mac? this functionality definitely exists.

• In Spending Over Time report, I can only pick months as time periods, not individual days- like from the 27th to the 27th- for a total balance of credit cards.

The Spending Over Time report is one of 6 reports in Quicken Mac which are holdovers front he decade-old predecessor Quicken Essentials. I advise not using any of those reports, because you can do the same things in the new reports. in this case, you can create a Transaction report for any date range you wish, showing any accounts (such as all credit cards) you wish, and show all the transactions or collapse it do just a category summary. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.