Customized Tax Report Error

Options
cwiener
cwiener Member ✭✭✭
I am trying to produce a tax report that includes only transactions from selected categories. No matter which categories are selected the report always includes capital gains entries for Schedule D even though none of those transactions are included in the selected categories.

It seems that Schedule D is always included in the tax report even though I’ve tried to limit the scope of the report.
Tagged:

Answers

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cwiener said:

It seems that Schedule D is always included in the tax report even though I’ve tried to limit the scope of the report.
    I just confirmed your observation. I took it a step further and ran the report with NO categories selected (Clear All) and the Sched D still displays.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It's likely you can't eliminate the categories because there aren't categorized transactions to omit. For instance, I have a few Sell transactions which show up in the Tax Report's Schedule D section due to calculated long-term capital gains. But omitting that category in Quicken won't change anything, because as you can see in your investment account register, there is no transaction with a category of long-term capital gains -- just the sale transaction. The long-term capital gain is calculated by Quicken; it's not a transaction it can omit.

Can you simply slick the little triangle next to the Schedule D heading? For me, that leaves the heading, but removes all the Schedule D data from the report. Is that good enough for your needs?

Alternatively, you can export the Report to a .csv file, open it in Excel or Numbers, and just delete the Schedule D section from the spreadsheet.

Tax Tax Report is one of the remaining reports using the old report engine that was inherited from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials program which formed the code base for the current Quicken Mac. While most of the old reports have been replaced or superseded by reports using a new reports engine developed and fleshed out over the past few years, the Tax Report still hasn't been re-written to use the new reports engine. There is some funkiness with these old reports (for instance, the old Category Summary report is known to omit data in some circumstances), so it's a matter of trying to find a way to get what you need until they get around to creating a new version of the Tax Report.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • cwiener
    cwiener Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    > @jacobs said:
    > Can you simply slick the little triangle next to the Schedule D heading? For me, that leaves the heading, but removes all the Schedule D data from the report. Is that good enough for your needs?

Unfortunately, that only works for a display report. When I go to print the report (which is the point of a report), the triangle gets unclicked and all the Schedule D info gets printed.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Ah, you're right. It's because it's one of the old reports. They fixed this recently in the new reports, but I don't think they're investing time in making enhancements on the old reports. Until they re-do the Tax Report, I think you'll either need to ignore the Schedule D stuff on the report, or export and open in a spreadsheet so you can delete it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.