How to add new mortgage and record loan proceeds

Hello,
I paid cash for an investment rental property. 1 1/2 years later I took out a mortgage on the property. When I setup the mortgage in Quicken there is not an option to record the proceeds deposited in to my checking account. When I record the proceeds it increases the loan amount. How do I set up a new 15 yr $100,000 mortgage and record the cash proceeds? This is killin me!..:-0

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @Rmplmnz .  What you want to do is pretty easy but it is not intuitive. 
    1. After you set up your mortgage, go to the mortgage register.
    2. The Opening Balance transaction will show the category is the name of your mortgage account in brackets...example:  [Mortgage Account].
    3. Click on the down arrow to the right of [Mortgage Account].
    4. Click on Split.
    5. On line 3 of the Split, for the category enter your checking account name enclosed in brackets...example:  [Checking Account].  (Note: Leave line 2 blank since whatever is entered there will be recorded as an interest payment.)
    6. In the Amount column for line 3 enter the proceeds that you want transferred to your checking account.
    7. In line 1 of the Split, reduce the amount so that the total of line 1 and line 3 equals the total amount of the loan.  In this case, if you entered all $100,000 in line 3, then line 1 would be reduced to $0.  If entered $50,000 in line 3, then line 1 would be reduced to $50,000.
    8. If you want, you can enter notes in the Memo fields.
    9. Click OK and then save the transaction.
    That's it.  Your checking account register should now show the proceeds deposited there.  Your mortgage account register should still show the original Opening Balance of $100,000 and your mortgage Payment Schedule should be accurate showing no interest payment for the opening balance.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rmplmnz
    Rmplmnz Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Hi, @Rmplmnz .  What you want to do is pretty easy but it is not intuitive. 
    > * After you set up your mortgage, go to the mortgage register.

Hello Boatnmaniac,
    Awesome user name and you are a SuperUser to boot, nice!
    This is still killing me as I cannot get to the mortgage register.... I searched how to get to loan/mortgage register and I get...

"Connected accounts do not have a transaction register. Whatever information you can see when selecting the loan account in Quicken is what the bank downloads to you ... if the process works reliably at all."
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853898/how-can-i-view-a-loan-transaction-record

You basically loose access to the loan Account details when you set loans up by connecting the the lender.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7870633/new-mortgage-set-up-but-the-register-doesnt-appear-in-the-payment-details-section

What am I missing?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Rmplmnz,

Which version of Quicken are you on?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rmplmnz
    Rmplmnz Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @Rmplmnz,
    >
    > Which version of Quicken are you on?
    >
    > Frankx

Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property
    Year: 2020
    Version: R30.10
    Build 27.1.30.10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @Rmplmnz - Thanks!  I love boatin' and my wife says (lovingly, I hope) that I'm a maniac.  It just seemed logical to link them together and Boatnmaniac is the result!
    Sorry, I did not know you connected your mortgage to the lender.  It's a personal preference as to whether or not to do that as there are pros and cons with both methods.  My preference is to not connect the mortgage to the lender because then you have the ability to view the mortgage register and don't lose the ability to do what you want to do and for easy monitoring of other related mortgage costs like interest, taxes, interest, additional principal payments,etc., as well as to be able to easily make balance adjustments (something that will very likely need to be done from time to time).
    Anyway, I think the only way you are going to be able to transfer your mortgage proceeds to your checking account is to disconnect your mortgage from the lender.  I believe both of the threads per the links you provided state how you can do that.   I also think that if you do disconnect them you will not be able to connect them, again, but I am not 100% sure about this. If you backup your data file you can try doing this along with the the following steps (next 2 paragraphs) and see if it works for you.  If it doesn't or you don't like the results you can restore your backup file with no harm done to your mortgage account and it's connection to the lender.
    Once your mortgage is no longer connected you should be able to access the mortgage register by clicking on your mortgage account on the left side of the screen or in Account List and then clicking on Payment Details or View payment details (circled in red in this picture).  The register will then show up below the graph:

Now you can edit the Opening Balance transaction per my last post. 
    Then you'll have a decision to make:  Keep the mortgage a manual account by saving your data file (maybe under a different name?) and use that file going forward or restore your backup file and use that file going forward.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rmplmnz
    Rmplmnz Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Anyway, I think the only way you are going to be able to transfer your mortgage proceeds to your checking account is to disconnect your mortgage from the lender.  I believe both of the threads per the links you provided state how you can do that.   I also think that if you do disconnect them you will not be able to connect them, again, but I am not 100% sure about this. If you backup your data file you can try doing this along with the the following steps (next 2 paragraphs) and see if it works for you.  If it doesn't or you don't like the results you can restore your backup file with no harm done to your mortgage account and it's connection to the lender.
    > Once your mortgage is no longer connected you should be able to access the mortgage register by clicking on your mortgage account on the left side of the screen or in Account List and then clicking on Payment Details or View payment details (circled in red in this picture).  The register will then show up below the graph:

@Boatnmaniac
    Thank you for taking the time to research/read my issue and for writing a detailed response!
    Whew....stunning that the Quicken Developers need a lesson in double entry accounting from Luca Pacioli!
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2012/10/04/162296423/the-accountant-who-changed-the-world#:~:text=Luca Pacioli was a monk,section on double-entry bookkeeping.&text=Today, every country and every business uses double-entry bookkeeping.

Frustrating to not be able to use all the functionality Quicken offers for loans....but I can create a custom investment asset class...which has been on my list since...never! Quicken is great when everything clicks...frustrating and time consuming when it doen't..think Red Flag that never clears after all downloaded transactions have been accepted.

Thanks again and happy boating!!
    Chris
  • Rmplmnz
    Rmplmnz Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @Rmplmnz - You are welcome.  Quicken actually does a very good job, IMO, with double entry.  And it works really well with loans when they are set up as manual accounts. 

Hello Boatnmaniac,
    Thank you again for the lighting quick detailed responses! I resolved my issue based on your Quicken knowledge.
    I am saving your notes as I learned some nuances on working with loans within Quicken.
    My comments were not meant to disparage Quicken, it is the Gold Standard of financial software, I would be lost without it! I was just venting frustration that it is so weird to not be able to record the proceeds on a new loan.
    Have an awesome Thanksgiving Weekend my friend!
    Chris
This discussion has been closed.