Yearly Tax planning not showing scheduled charitable deductions

For some reason, the tax planner is not including my scheduled charity deductions. This started fairly recently, perhaps a bug due to an update. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a solution for it. How do I report a bug like this?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    GrandmaJo said:
    That is not the problem. Quicken shows the charities as due in Dec. of this year, but they are not showing up in tax planner. When I go to "edit this and future dates" the due date is showing 2021 rather than 2020. This happened on all the charities with no input from me...and they still are showing as currently due in 2020 in the bills list. When I edited each of the charities from 2021 to 2020 they showed up. But a week later, they had reverted to 2021 and were not showing up. I think this is a bug of some sort.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876084/cant-adjust-bill-reminder-date
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    GrandmaJo said:
    I read the information and it deals with backdated reminders, I think. Mine are not backdated. After I upgraded from 2017, the due dates seemed correct and were showing in the list of bills due. However, they were not reflected in my tax planner as being upcoming. Editing just the current due date did not show a problem, but when I went to editing current and future, it was showing the date for the following year, which must be what the tax planner was picking up. This is still a bug and I want Quicken to know the problem affects not just backdated reminders. Thank you.
    I suspect you are experiencing the issue described in the referenced link.  Quicken developers are not planning to correct the issue but do plan to provide an error message when we attempt to save a new due date for reminder that isn't more recent than the previously entered reminder.

If you want to resolve the issue your experiencing, I suggest you recreate the misbehaving reminders.   Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    If you haven't already, I suggest you review the tax form line items associated with the scheduled bills in the Tax Planner.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    That is not the problem. Quicken shows the charities as due in Dec. of this year, but they are not showing up in tax planner. When I go to "edit this and future dates" the due date is showing 2021 rather than 2020. This happened on all the charities with no input from me...and they still are showing as currently due in 2020 in the bills list. When I edited each of the charities from 2021 to 2020 they showed up. But a week later, they had reverted to 2021 and were not showing up. I think this is a bug of some sort.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you have your settings right in the Tax Planner. You have to tell it to use your scheduled transactions. It's easier to show in a picture than explain in words. Here I have scheduled monthly donations to ASPCA and made sure Tax Planner took them into consideration. The 2 remaining in year 2020 are taken into consideration properly. Does this remedy your situation?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    GrandmaJo said:
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876084/cant-adjust-bill-reminder-date
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I read the information and it deals with backdated reminders, I think. Mine are not backdated. After I upgraded from 2017, the due dates seemed correct and were showing in the list of bills due. However, they were not reflected in my tax planner as being upcoming. Editing just the current due date did not show a problem, but when I went to editing current and future, it was showing the date for the following year, which must be what the tax planner was picking up. This is still a bug and I want Quicken to know the problem affects not just backdated reminders. Thank you.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Rocket Squirrel, but I do have the planner set to include scheduled transactions. I have been using Quicken since the 90's and it wasn't until I upgraded to the yearly paid version that this occurred. I will probably not continue with the yearly subscription if it takes this long to fix a bug. There were little or no new features, just the loss of old features.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Try running validate and super-validate.  The reminders may been corrupted or failed to update to the new data table structure introduced in R30.9.  All my scheduled charitable contributions report as expected in the Tax Planner.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    I validated and had no errors. How do you super-validate. I saw no options to do that. Thank you!
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    BTW, yesterday I changed all of my charitable contributions to the correct date of 2020. They were still not showing up in the tax planner. Then today when I opened the file, the date was again in 2021. I don't think the tax planner is picking up charitable gifts at all or is using a 2021 date regardless of what is set in bills and reminders.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2020
    Hold Shift + Ctrl when clicking validate.  Are you sure the correct tax line is associated with the Category you are using for charitable contributions?

Adding- If you are using Sync, I suggest turning that off until you get this resolved.  The sync could be reverting the changes you are making.  If you get it resolved, use Reset Cloud File after turning sync back on and before manually syncing or performing One Step Update.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    GrandmaJo said:
    I suspect you are experiencing the issue described in the referenced link.  Quicken developers are not planning to correct the issue but do plan to provide an error message when we attempt to save a new due date for reminder that isn't more recent than the previously entered reminder.

If you want to resolve the issue your experiencing, I suggest you recreate the misbehaving reminders.   Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B

This discussion has been closed.