quicken windows not responding

after installing the latest update I cannot open my qdata file. per other conversations I found: I tried reinstalling the latest update(QW27.1.30.10MPatch), recovering a prior backup qdata file, and removing/reinstalling quicken. can't call support as it is the weekend - any advice? I also noticed that the qdata file is now very large 876,432kb

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • same place it has been all along this installation has been in place for
    years: c:/users/owner/documents/quicken
    I am not using dropbox or one drive here, I am backing up to an external hard drive.
    I am using McAfee
    This is the 2nd time this year I have had in issue with an update, the last time I was just able to re-install the patch.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My own Quicken data file is only about 66,000 KB or less than one tenth of your file.
    Assuming that you do not store massive amounts of images with your transaction data ...
    Looking through the list of your backup files, do you see a sudden dramatic increase in file size? The newest files are in the 876,000 KB range and older files are very much smaller. If so, restore a smaller file. Your current file may have been damaged by a bug which causes explosive growth in file size, rendering it unusable.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• It is increasing in size when I try to open after applying the patch. Before the patch was ~93k, the attempts to open have created the huge files. Typically I need to terminate the process with task manager if the windows non response doesn't come up.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another reason for explosive increase in size is a "runaway automatic entry  reminder".  Every once in a while an automatic reminder gets corrupted and Quicken thinks that it is way behind in posting those reminders in the register.  People have reported it putting thousands of transactions in and in some cases it is so bad that like you it never stops and you have to kill it.

The workaround is to set your system date back by say a month and then open the restored backup file. If it now is OK you should set the reminders not to be automatic, and you might have to recreate them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I did try restoring the last few weeks of backup files with no luck.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @darkrystal7

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

As this post was started quite some time ago, can you please confirm which version you are currently running?

Also, if you create a blank empty file, do you still experience this behavior?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Yes, a new file works - I had to restart a new file to download my last bank statement and do my November and December bills. But no file before the November R.29.22 patch will open(abt 11/23) I still have 2 decades of historical investment data that I'd like to be able to access. The new installed version is Premier R30.14 Build 27.1.30.14
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @darkrystal7

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.