Sidebar Groups

Is it possible to create new subgroups in the sidebar?

Best Answer

Answers

• dstarnik@
    dstarnik@ Member ✭✭
    Well, that's just stupid, and inconvenient.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @dstarnik@  If you want any positive about this, it's that there has been a longstanding set of wishes Quicken Mac users have expressed about having control over the account order and grouping in the sidebar, and the developers have agreed to implement changes. This idea thread is now marked with a status of "Planned" with a note that "We are currently investigating account list customization options, however, these options may be more like enabling custom groupings rather than an alphabetical ‘sort’." So there will be options to customize the left sidebar at some point in the future; we just don't know when.

Every Quicken user has their own view of what the top feature request is, and the developers have hundreds of features users have requested. So they're always prioritizing what they feel will impact the most users, what will add functionality that's completely missing (versus features that add easy of use), or what can be accomplished quickly. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dstarnik@
    dstarnik@ Member ✭✭
    Thanks jacobs
  • dstarnik@
    dstarnik@ Member ✭✭
    Oh, I see that thread was last updated almost 2 years ago. They're really on top of this one. :s
  • jacobs
    There are idea threads here that are four years old! And some which have been marked "Planned" for nearly two years. The problem is not that they aren't "on top of" requests, it's that there's a never-ending list of feature requests, and some of them take months of work to implement.

Quicken does occasionally conduct user polls, plus using voting here, and feedback from their Support teams, to try to guide the order in which they tackle things. In general, they've invested the most time on adding functionality that Quicken Mac was incapable of doing previously, and less time on aesthetic and ease-of-use enhancements. User controlled custom account grouping in the sidebar is one of the latter. (In recent months, they've added expanded user control over hidden and separate accounts in the sidebar, so perhaps that can generate hope that additional customization of the sidebar is a work in progress.)
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • jacobs
    @Rlck  That Idea request isn't about sidebar groups (or at least doesn't say so explicitly); I think that idea is requesting subtotals by investment account Type in the Portfolio screen. This thread is about allowing users to create their own sidebar groups, which is what the developers have indicated in this thread that they plan to implement. 
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was considering a Roth IRA, Roth 401K as being groups or maybe Roth being a group and Roth IRA and Roth 401K being subgroups. All being under the "Retirement" main group.  Still by account type but new groups in the sidebar.  I wasn't thinking along the lines of Personal and Business as being groups that could be added and accounts moved into those brackets.  

But if sidebar groups can be created, I guess one can always create a Roth group and move it within the Retirement group creating a subgroup and then move the Roth IRA's and Roth 401K's accounts into the Roth subgroup.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
This discussion has been closed.