How do I manage Duplicate Entries created by Linking my investment accounts

I just started using Quicken and imported all my data from Banktivity via a QIF file. When I linked my investment accounts to the brokerage accounts Quicken downloaded over year of data - duplicating what I already had brought over from Banktivity. How is this supposed to be handled. I see the Duplicate. Transaction command- but all it seems to do is put a symbol next to the entries that I have highlighted as Duplicate. ( I suspect this command is meant for ongoing processing not the first time download.)

It appears to me that the only real solution is to work down the register and delete all the entries from my QIF file that match the imported entries. And then reconcile the account to the version on my Banktivity file.

Best Answer

• Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found a better solution. Sort the account by the left most column where the Blue circle appears marking a new download and then determine the date range where all entries are duplicated and delete the original entries keeping only the new download. (Then Reconcile to be sure)

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Why don't you go make note of when the duplicate transactions begin, go back to a prior version of your file before you imported entries online (assuming you have a backup, or starting from scratch and re-importing the QIF file), and delete all transactions after that date? (Select the whole range by shift-clicking, then press delete.) That will eliminate all or nearly all your duplicates in under a minute rather than deleting them one at a time in your current file. Then re-connect your account and download to bring in all the most recent transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Also, by the way, in the Duplicate Transaction command, "Duplicate" is a verb, not an adjective. In other words, the command creates a duplicate of the current transaction. It does not look for duplicates.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    A lot of work either way.

If I remember correctly Quicken-Mac 2007 (or maybe earlier) brought the new imports into a separate screen where you would match, approve or delete. Banktivity downloads entries, where it finds a match it keeps the original entry and indicates a match and adds all new entires with a “new” label. Apparently the current version of Quicken Mac has no such ability.
  • Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I found a better solution. Sort the account by the left most column where the Blue circle appears marking a new download and then determine the date range where all entries are duplicated and delete the original entries keeping only the new download. (Then Reconcile to be sure)
This discussion has been closed.