placeholder entries

Is it possible that placeholder entries got turned off? I have a hard time with one investment company and placeholder entries are the best way for me to keep it straight.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you would like Quicken to create placeholder transactions for you, check the account in the Compare Portfolio window: select Edit > Preferences...

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you would like Quicken to create placeholder transactions for you, check the account in the Compare Portfolio window: select Edit > Preferences...

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Kim Pulsipher

You also might want to switching from "complete investing" to "simple investing" for this particular account.  In case you haven't heard - it eliminates the need to enter individual transactions into a register, and focuses on having the correct, up-to-date holdings and account balances without a register.

Here's a summary of the Quicken's "simple investing" method:
      With Simple Investing, Quicken keeps track of the positions (number of shares for each security) over time, and your cash balances. Quicken's tracking is based on information provided by your broker.  You portfolio value, net worth, and investment returns over time will be available, but Quicken will not be able to calculate capital gains and losses or investment income. Quicken will display an account summary rather than an investment transaction register when the account is selected.
    Just something you might want to consider.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Thank you both. It was turned off for that account even though I didn't do it. will check into simple investing.