How do I set a default file in Starter edition?

Each time I open Quicken lately, the older file (last year's, 2019), is the one that opens. I don't use it, and always want to use the 2020 file.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By default, Quicken should open the last used file. That's the one listed in the File Menu, at the bottom of the popup view, marked as "1 - filename here"
    There's one reason why Quicken might not be able to memorize the last used file:
    The filename has a blank space at the end of it, e.g., "QDATA_.QDF" (where the underscore represents a blank space).
    With Quicken closed, use Windows File Explorer (or, if you know how to, a DOS DIR command of the Quicken folder containing your data file) and you should be able to see the trailing space between filename and filetype. Rename the file to remove the space. Now double-click the renamed file to start Quicken using this file and your problem should be resolved ... I hope ...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There COULD  also be a space in the file name that follows QDF.  During the rename process, cllick the END key to go to the last character of your file name.
    The cursor should position  immediately after the F (in  QDF) if it positions later ... you've got trailing spaces.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• HuskyJim
    HuskyJim Member ✭✭
    UKR & NotACPA,
    Thanks for the quick replies. :)

Checked the file name, no trailing spaces in the name at the end (after .QDF), although there are spaces in the name (name is "Checking - 2020 v1.QDF").

I've used Quicken for years, and not observed this issue. Caused problems when I opened Quicken, started using the file that opened, then, after entering many transactions, realized it was the older one. :D
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q is inconsistent in the way that it handles embedded spaces in file names ... which is why it's recommended to keep file names to the 8.3 format (8 characters/numbers followed by .QDF)

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.