Tax Schedule Report Dates

I'm trying to do year-end planning, including future scheduled transactions in December. Whether I run the report through today's date (12/4/2020) or try to change it through year-end, the report only gives me transactions through November 30. Extremely annoying, any ideas what I am doing wrong? And yes, current Quicken Mac version is running, I've closed and re-opened the file, MAC OS is current, etc...

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @hsecpa As I wrote, I tested the Tax Schedule report, and confirmed it does include transactions in the future if the date range was in the future. 

I created a dummy paycheck for December 22, and ran a Tax Schedule report for December. Here you can see several of the tax categories showing up on December 22:

I would check to make sure that the transactions you're looking to see in the Tax Schedule report are (a) using tax-related categories, and (b) regular, not scheduled, transactions. 

As for whether some or all reports should include future-dated scheduled transactions, I think that's another matter. Perhaps using a budget built for tax categories might be a better place to do future planning, because you can see actual year-to-date values and enter whatever future values you anticipate. Or, aiming longer-term that this year-end, you could create a new Idea post on this site suggesting they add an option on reports to include future scheduled transactions within the date range of the report.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what view you are in - you haven't said. In the 'Bills' section this is generally true, but depends on specific view.

Try look at the whole Calendar it should show schedule transactions as far out as you scroll. Hit Ctrl+K and scroll to months with 2 arrows in upper left. Scheduled transactions are colour coded.
  • hsecpa
    hsecpa Member ✭✭
    YINGDAVE: I did specify what view I was in - the subject of my question is "TAX SCHEDULE REPORT". When I run that SPECIFIC report, it excludes the current month (December) activity, whether that activity has occurred or is scheduled for the future. I'm not interested in any other areas of Quicken, such as the Calendar you mention.
  • jacobs
    @hsecpa  The issue is that you're talking about a scheduled transaction, not a live/real transaction. The Tax Report looks at only actual transactions, so scheduled income or expense transactions are not included in the report until you mark them as paid/deposited.

You can see this with a simple test. Create a dummy scheduled transaction with a tax category for December 15. Run the Tax Schedule report and set it to run through December 31. Your dummy transaction won't be there. Then mark the next instance of the scheduled transaction as paid/deposited, and you'll see the report will instantly refresh and include the December 15 transaction. (You can check this as well with a Transaction report; the dummy scheduled transaction will show in the report for dates that have been marked as paid/deposited, but not for future dates.) 

Bottom line: for better or worse, the reports don't include scheduled transactions because they don't really exist yet.
  • hsecpa
    hsecpa Member ✭✭
    Thanks, jacobs, but you didn't read ALL the words. ACTUAL transactions that have posted in December DO NOT appear on the report. But even if they did, and you are correct about the scheduled transactions, THEN WHAT GOOD IS THE REPORT? I want to do tax-planning for year-end. I know I'm splitting hairs here, I guess, but it seems that this report is only meant to be sent to your tax accountant in April.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am not running on a Mac - but reports can be run for whatever date range you specify. Pretty sure same on the Mac reports but I can see them, once in the report settings. 

Suggest you lighten up on the all Caps - you are not going to motivate people to help you. We are just users like you.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @hsecpa As I wrote, I tested the Tax Schedule report, and confirmed it does include transactions in the future if the date range was in the future. 

I created a dummy paycheck for December 22, and ran a Tax Schedule report for December. Here you can see several of the tax categories showing up on December 22:

I would check to make sure that the transactions you're looking to see in the Tax Schedule report are (a) using tax-related categories, and (b) regular, not scheduled, transactions. 

As for whether some or all reports should include future-dated scheduled transactions, I think that's another matter. Perhaps using a budget built for tax categories might be a better place to do future planning, because you can see actual year-to-date values and enter whatever future values you anticipate. Or, aiming longer-term that this year-end, you could create a new Idea post on this site suggesting they add an option on reports to include future scheduled transactions within the date range of the report.
This discussion has been closed.