Can multiple views of the same register be displayed at the same time? (Q Mac)

jrwilson13
jrwilson13 Member ✭✭
I sometimes need to search for multiple different items in a register. I would like to be able to open multiple views of the same register so I can do the searches independently and retain the results of each search for reference.

Is there a way to open multiple views of the same register?

Best Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can have two views, each independently searchable.  One will be 'docked' to the main QMac window, the other will be an independent, floating window.

Right click your account name in the left panel and select "Open in New Window" (or press ctrl-O).

You will also get a floating window view of an account if you drill down inside of a report.

The limit is two views at once:  docked and floating.  I'm not sure what you mean by "retain the results of each search for reference" though... as the search results are both dynamic and temporary.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can also open any account or account group register in its own window simply by double-clicking it in the left sidebar.

The register you open in its own window will retain whatever search or sort you select until you close that window. If you quit Quicken with the window open, the window will still be there when you relaunch Quicken -- but the Search will not be retained, so you'd need to re-do your Search. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    Answer ✓
    You can have two views, each independently searchable.  One will be 'docked' to the main QMac window, the other will be an independent, floating window.

Right click your account name in the left panel and select "Open in New Window" (or press ctrl-O).

You will also get a floating window view of an account if you drill down inside of a report.

The limit is two views at once:  docked and floating.  I'm not sure what you mean by "retain the results of each search for reference" though... as the search results are both dynamic and temporary.

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    You can also open any account or account group register in its own window simply by double-clicking it in the left sidebar.

The register you open in its own window will retain whatever search or sort you select until you close that window. If you quit Quicken with the window open, the window will still be there when you relaunch Quicken -- but the Search will not be retained, so you'd need to re-do your Search. 
  • jrwilson13
    jrwilson13 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you for your answers. I wasn't clear in my question. I knew I could have two windows of the same register (or account group) open at the same time: one floating; one in the main QMac window.

What I wanted to do was have more than one floating window for a register and keep the main QMac window reserved for other activity. It has to do with the way I am searching and cleaning up transactions for our business that are in multiple registers and span multiple years. It's somewhat of a mess. ;-(

On a positive note, since I finally migrated off Quicken2007, what I am doing is soooo much easier. What an improvement!

Thanks again for your help!
  • jacobs
    If you have multiple registers you want to look at, then you can open each one in its own window, while using the main Quicken window for a different register or report or budget. But you can't have two independent windows of the same register open at the same time.
  • MontanaKarl
    Thanks @jacobs  for the tips above - did not realize that (a) double clicking would open a floating windows or that (b) we could have one floating window per register.  Awesome.

This discussion has been closed.