Income Statement or P&L Report (Q Mac)

Options
Mike_jMGS
Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Reports (Mac)
Where is the Income Statement report? I'm looking for a yearly or year over year (2, 5, and 10 years) comparison report. How do you create an Income Statement or P&L Report in Quicken Mac?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Simply create a Summary report by Category. This will list income, expenses and a grand total -- it's an income statement!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Simply create a Summary report by Category. This will list income, expenses and a grand total -- it's an income statement!
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a poor choice of names for that report. They are trying too hard, the new reports look or work so much worse than the reports in quicken mac 2007.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Perhaps I don't understand what the problem is. Create a Summary report by Category and name it whatever you want: Income Statement, P&L, Income & Expense Summary -- the naming is up to you. 

As for Quicken 2007, the naming was pretty inconsistent in spots, too. ;) For my personal Income Statement, I needed to look under "Business". Or I could do a Category Summary, but that included transfers in and out. If I wanted to compare this year's income to last year, that was a different report called Comparison Report under "Standard", even though it exactly mirrored the Income Statement under Business with a second year. If I wanted to compare three years… well you couldn't in Quicken 2007. In modern Quicken Mac, starting from one base report -- Category Summary -- I can generate a single year, two years or 10 years just by changing the date range and interval -- way more flexible and capable.

I'm not saying reports in Quicken Mac are perfect! We still need the ability to specify multiple sort fields and subtotals. A few of the old reports, like Tax Summary, need to be re-written using the new reports interface. We're still missing investment reports that are either cumbersome to set up in the Portfolio or can't be done at all. But for the reports that do now exist in Quicken Mac, I think they work pretty well.

As for the look of the reports, that's often a subjective opinion. I find the modern reports look fine, except my one big beef of showing subtotals on top instead of below data.

What do you find "works so much worse than the reports in Quicken Mac 2007"? If there are specific things that are missing or don't work well, it's worth creating them as Idea posts on this site and trying to get them pushed to the developers. In my experience observing the past 6 years of the development of Quicken Mac, the developers definitely are responsive to user feature requests -- although not as quickly as anyone would like.
This discussion has been closed.