Issues Adding Employer Sponsored Accounts

Hello,

I'm a new Quicken user and can't seem to figure out how to add two accounts which are from my employer. On is a Vanguard 401(k) and the other is a Schwab Equity Awards Center account (RSUs).

If I go through the workflow to add an account and choose Vanguard I can login through Quicken. However, Quicken notes I don't have any accounts to activate (my only Vanguard account if my employer sponsored 401(k)).

For Schwab I logged in through Quicken and it picked up my general brokerage account and checking account. However, Quicken doesn't see the Equity Award Center account.

It seems there are some connectivity issues with employer sponsored accounts. Has anyone had luck connecting these? I wouldn't mind downloading a Quicken file but I can't even find that option in these accounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jackhake,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

On the Vanguard account - I am completely baffled.  The link you provided indeed goes to the individual investor website rather than to the retirement plan website, which makes no sense to me if your plan is employer sponsored.  I am not absolutely sure, but believe that you should be able to "connect" that account to Quicken for downloading.  Windows users can connect via any of the 3 methods, with Direct Connect being the most reliable.  As a Mac user in the very least, you'll be able to download a file which can be uploaded into Quicken.

The Schwab link is also a "personal" account webpage, rather than an employer sponsored plan page.  And you already know that it doesn't connect with your employer sponsored RSU plan.  Quicken currently has nothing specifically designed for the purpose of tracking RSU's, however there is an "idea post" (basically a wish list of Q users) where the idea is "under review", so this could become a new feature sometime in the future.

In the meantime, you'll need to enter and track those manually.  I suggest that you look at the comments included in this thread (keep paging down and you'll see some suggestions on entering these into Quicken).  It is not pretty but some of the comments will provide suggestions on how to record RSU's.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jackhake

Welcome to Quicken and the Community!

It can be difficult (and perhaps impossible for certain plans) to connect and/or download employer sponsored retirement plans into Quicken.  I'll go through what I know about the two you mention and perhaps others will chime in also.

On the Vanguard account I think you tried to log-in through the individual investor platform rather than the employer platform.  When you go through the steps in Quicken - on the first Quicken screen "Search for your financial institution" I think you may have "accepted" the default link (www.investor.vanguard.com) which is for retail customers, when you likely should have selected "Vanguard Ascensus Retirement" (www.my.vanguardplan.com) instead.  Ascensus is the qualified retirement plan arm of Vanguard.  So you should try adding the account again.  If for some reason you cannot get connected, I know that Vanguard's retail website allows users to download .QFX files which can be imported into Quicken, which would be a work around.

Likewise, Schwab also has an arm that handles retirement type plans - its name and web address are also separate from the retail Schwab platform.  You should select "Schwab Retirement Services" (www.schwabplan.com) to try to setup that account in Quicken.  I am a little less familiar with Schwab's retirement services so I am not sure that your particular plan will be available for download.  And I have no information about whether download files might be an alternative.

Other folks have had success with downloading employer retirement plans, so keep trying.  If you run out of luck, you could also contact Quicken support for assistance.

Let me know if you have any followups, and good luck!

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jackhake
    jackhake Member ✭✭
    @Frankx thank you so much for the reply!

In regards to Vanguard I'm not seeing any other option besides generic "Vanguard" which as you noted is www.investor.vanguard.com. The only other option that shows is "Bay-Vanguard Federal Savings Bank" which seems unrelated. Can this be a case of Quicken Mac vs Windows (I'm on the Mac client)?

For reference I click + (new account) > Investments > 401(k) > then type Vanguard.

For Schwab its an Equity Awards account which deals with company provided restricted stock units. It seems this may not be able to be added. I'll need to look for ways to manually add RSUs.

Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jackhake

Thank you for the response and the additional details. May I ask that you please provide the URL's that you use to view these accounts online.

The URL may be used to help confirm if the financial institutions are listed as a supported institution in our banking list.

If the institution is not listed, you are looking at tracking these accounts manually. Please let me know so we can make sure we exhaust all options.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jackhake
    jackhake Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka thanks for your reply!

For my employer sponsored 401(k) plan I login using "https://investor.vanguard.com/my-account/log-on" which then get redirected to "https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/web/cfv/pex-secure-overview/home" when showing my account. Quicken shows only one Vanguard in my results which is the investor site (should there be a retirement plan option?).

For Schwab I login via "https://client.schwab.com/Login/SignOn/CustomerCenterLogin.aspx" which shows my checking, brokerage, and equity awards accounts. Quicken imported my checking and brokerage but doesn't see my equity awards account. This is a employer sponsored account for restricted stock units. This may be an odd case. Is there any guidance how to model vested RSUs within Quicken? This is different than ESPP.

Thank You!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jackhake,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

On the Vanguard account - I am completely baffled.  The link you provided indeed goes to the individual investor website rather than to the retirement plan website, which makes no sense to me if your plan is employer sponsored.  I am not absolutely sure, but believe that you should be able to "connect" that account to Quicken for downloading.  Windows users can connect via any of the 3 methods, with Direct Connect being the most reliable.  As a Mac user in the very least, you'll be able to download a file which can be uploaded into Quicken.

The Schwab link is also a "personal" account webpage, rather than an employer sponsored plan page.  And you already know that it doesn't connect with your employer sponsored RSU plan.  Quicken currently has nothing specifically designed for the purpose of tracking RSU's, however there is an "idea post" (basically a wish list of Q users) where the idea is "under review", so this could become a new feature sometime in the future.

In the meantime, you'll need to enter and track those manually.  I suggest that you look at the comments included in this thread (keep paging down and you'll see some suggestions on entering these into Quicken).  It is not pretty but some of the comments will provide suggestions on how to record RSU's.

Frankx

• jackhake
    jackhake Member ✭✭
    @Frankx After I installed the most recent Mac update and now my employer 401(k) is seen when I provide my Vanguard credentials. Thank you for your help!
This discussion has been closed.