Withdraw and Deposit transactions in investment account not working

Options
W.N.M
W.N.M Member ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Investing (Windows)
I took all the money in one Vanguard account and put it in another. In transaction history on Vanguard, the transactions are called Conversion Out and Conversion In. In Quicken they are recorded as Withdraw and Deposit. The transactions have no effect on the account, though. The balances remain the same for the account being closed and the account being transferred to. I could change the transaction types to Sell and Buy. Would that work?

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @W.N.M
    I just looked at my Vanguard conversion of Investor to Admiral shares.
    - Online, they are shown as two "Share Conversions": outgoing and incoming.
    - In Quicken, Vanguard downloaded them as Sold & Bought.  Which would also be equivalent of "Mutual Fund Conversion".
    But this is within the same [Retirement] account and hence of no real consequence.  Sorry that this is not much of a help.
    Edit: by the way, CLASS = Investor or Admiral in this case (and there are other share classes too)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Conversion" suggests some kind of change is the security, perhaps in the CLASS of the security.
    AND, Q's Withdraw & Deposit functions are for CASH only.  If you're moving securities (and there's no Class or other change), you need to use "Shares Transferred between Accounts".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• W.N.M
    W.N.M Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was changing from Investor Shares to Admiral Shares in the same security. I am not familiar with CLASS; however, it seems like that might apply.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To switch to Vanguard Admiral (I have several) you should use Corporate Acquisition (or the new Mutual Fund Conversion) and you have to manually calculate how many new shares you got for each ONE old share. Took me 3 times to notice that part.  So you may have to do some dividing on paper first. Don't worry if the price per share comes out fractionally different. Just be sure the # of shares and cost is accurate. Most of my conversions to Admiral were for all the same # of shares.  So I just changed the name and symbol.  One fund was so close I just did an adjustment and removed .176 shares.  I had 536.743 shares before and they converted in only 536.567 shares.

If you have it set up as a Single Mutual Fund (SMF) you need to edit the account and change it to No. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @W.N.M
    I just looked at my Vanguard conversion of Investor to Admiral shares.
    - Online, they are shown as two "Share Conversions": outgoing and incoming.
    - In Quicken, Vanguard downloaded them as Sold & Bought.  Which would also be equivalent of "Mutual Fund Conversion".
    But this is within the same [Retirement] account and hence of no real consequence.  Sorry that this is not much of a help.
    Edit: by the way, CLASS = Investor or Admiral in this case (and there are other share classes too)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• W.N.M
    W.N.M Member ✭✭
    Options
    It's not a SMF, and the number of shares doesn't change. It was all done in my IRA.
  • W.N.M
    W.N.M Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, BK. You confirmed how I should change the transactions. Why they didn't get recorded the same as yours originally, I don't know.