entering employer paycheck expense reimbursement

Mark248
Mark248 Member ✭✭
Unable to add one time nontaxable employer expense reimbursement into paycheck template without corrupting totals. I tried entering the reimbursement under earnings>add earnings and then using a nontaxable category, but the W2 taxable total at the bottom of the template incorrectly rises regardless. Quicken instructions suggest that I should reduce the taxable earnings by the same amount as the reimbursement to compensate for this, but then the total deposit amount is short by that reimbursement amount. I am Using QW2020 Subscription R30.14

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I don't have any real experience with the paycheck wizard so this is simply a work-around.
    If I'm understanding your problem you have a net check that you want to account for as a deposit, but the check amount is larger than the "normal" amount because of a non-taxable expense reimbursement and you can't get this to play out properly. 
    If that's the case then the workaround would be to simply enter the deposit as a regular check, then immediately below that enter the reimbursement and whatever Category or Account where you want that amount to go in your file.  Perhaps in the Memo field a note to yourself that the amount was actually included in your payroll check would also be in order.
    When your paycheck clears in the bank it won't match to anything, so you simply delete the download and mark both transactions as cleared in the Clr column.
    That should work to get your accounting right and have your reconcile work properly.
  • Mark248
    Mark248 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Tom. I was aware of this work-around. Unfortunately it is rather cumbersome and inefficient, and I was hoping that Quicken had provided or will provide a more direct non-work-around solution. :/
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark248 said:
    Unable to add one time nontaxable employer expense reimbursement into paycheck template without corrupting totals. I tried entering the reimbursement under earnings>add earnings and then using a nontaxable category, but the W2 taxable total at the bottom of the template incorrectly rises regardless. Quicken instructions suggest that I should reduce the taxable earnings by the same amount as the reimbursement to compensate for this, but then the total deposit amount is short by that reimbursement amount. I am Using QW2020 Subscription R30.14
    I think you are encountering an old bug that  dates back 20+ years to when the Pay Check Wizaed was introduced. It has been discussed and reported numerous times over the years but has obviously never made the developers "priority list".

The W-2 error you have observed seems to be confined solely to the wizard display. The reimbursed non-taxable income item is correctly handled throughout QWin - except for this one display.

My recommendation is to use the non-taxable income entry for the reimbursement and just ignore the W-2 entry in the wizard. Back when I was still  getting a paycheck and expense reimbursements, I did this with no problems - other the the annoyance factor with the wizard.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.