Have a CD with data from 2000 - 2002 would like to view with Quicken

Divemaster
Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
Have a cd from 2002 I wanted to look at via Quicken.  I downloaded Quicken 2004 (QW04DLX.exe).  Removed current Quicken from laptop and loaded the QW04DLX.exe which seem to load Quicken 2004 just fine.  Opened Quicken 2004 and said restore backup and pointed to BKP below and it seem to run and complete just fine.  However when I tried to open JRAPP02.QDF with Quicken 2004, it gave a message unable to open file.  Below are the files use to start this process.   No big deal, was just interested if I could do it, no reason I have to have this data, maybe I was just bored- but it didn't work and I think I followed the correct procedures. 

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you use the steps in this article?  I assume you did to get Q2004.

How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

Use the 3rd bullet point for converting from Q98-2003

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I used that link and followed Step 1.  The difference is I had a backup copy of Quicken from a year end purge (or whatever the term is, purge may not be correct terminology) I ran in Quicken.    I believe in this link Step 1 they mean a standard copy of Quicken data- not data from a  year end purge.BKUP?  I stopped doing those year end file functions in 2003.   
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have a cd from 2002 I wanted to look at via Quicken.  I downloaded Quicken 2004 (QW04DLX.exe).  Removed current Quicken from laptop and loaded the QW04DLX.exe which seem to load Quicken 2004 just fine.  Opened Quicken 2004 and said restore backup and pointed to BKP below and it seem to run and complete just fine.  However when I tried to open JRAPP02.QDF with Quicken 2004, it gave a message unable to open file.  Below are the files use to start this process.   No big deal, was just interested if I could do it, no reason I have to have this data, maybe I was just bored- but it didn't work and I think I followed the correct procedures. 

The name of the file appears to be: JRAPP02BKP.QDF  (not JRAPP02.QDF).

If you haven't already, I suggest you copy the files from the CD to a folder on a local drive before attempting to open the JRAPP02BKP.QDF with Quicken 2004.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Divemaster ,
    which version of Quicken created these backup files?
    Was it a US version or a Canada, UK or other international version?
    What was the exact message when you tried to open the file? Was there any additional information?
    Oh, and you did store the restored JRAPP02.* file set in \Documents\Quicken and not in some other system folder where Windows might refuse to cooperate?

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    I did copy from the CD to a folder on the laptop and then started the whole process, did not use data directly from the CD.

Yes the restore process didn't even give me any options, restore went directly to \documents\quicken.  As soon as I opened Quicken after loading, I got several options, one was restore from backup and that is the one I used. 

When opening from \documents\quicken is when I get error in a small box that just says unable to open.   Actually, I restored the laptop with an image taken prior to this attempt.  

Step 1 didn't say do an uninstall of current Quicken so I thought the install of 2004 might (though I doubted it).  Loading 2004 blew up!  So I uninstalled current Quicken and then 2004 installed.

Glad I took an image of drive prior to trying this as I would have felt uncomfortable that junk from 2004 would have been left out there if I just reloaded the current version of Quicken. 

This discussion has been closed.