How do I add a new mutual fund?

It's been a long time since I've added a new mutual fund to Quicken - about 10 years. What are the steps to do that?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    On the menu, choose Tools / Security List (or press control-Y), and click Add Security. You can type either the symbol or the name to find it. Then click Next. 

wags Glad to be here!

Answers

• studpup
    Answer ✓
    On the menu, choose Tools / Security List (or press control-Y), and click Add Security. You can type either the symbol or the name to find it. Then click Next. 

wags Glad to be here!

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    To build on this, each security you hold (including mutual funds) must be in an investing account. Usually you will have a brokerage type account, which can hold multiple securities. With this type of account, your statement will have one account number that covers all your securities.

Occasionally your financial institution (FI) will have a separate account for each mutual fund. Quicken calls this a "single mutual fund" account. These limited accounts can only hold one mutual fund and no cash. You should avoid these unless it is required by your FI. 

With either type of account, you must enter a Bought transaction to purchase the fund.

Please post back if you need more info.

QWin Premier subscription
  • ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    > @Studpup said:
    > On the menu, choose Tools / Security List (or press control-Y), and click Add Security. You can type either the symbol or the name to find it. Then click Next. 

I'll be adding FBGRX (Fidelity Blue Chip Growth Fund) to our Joint Account and also to each of our IRAs. Quicken only wants me to add it to one account, not all 3. When I first entered it, I added "Jt" beside the name and then tried to add it again for each of the IRAs - nothing happened. I have other Fidelity funds (e.g., Select Software) in the Joint account and in each IRA so (in the past) it could be done. Any suggestions?
  • studpup
    You only need to add the security to quicken once, regardless of how many accounts hold that security, and then it'll update the prices when you do your online updates. 

It's when you create each of your investment accounts that you choose who's account it is, and whether its a taxable account, IRA, Roth IRA or something else. But all the accounts can hold the same security, but quicken will watch the buys and sells for basis/gains/return calculations per account.  

So in your case, you'd create a new account at Fidelity, "jt" as a taxable brokerage account and download the transactions. Repeat to create other accounts for "jt IRA" and "ejb IRA", etc.

wags Glad to be here!

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    I've been able to create the joint and each IRA in Quicken. I don't download the info from Fidelity, I enter it. As part of the set-up (for want of a better word) process, I entered the number of shares and I can see the accounts listed to the left side under "investing". When I click one of my existing mutual fund accounts, I'm given the option to enter transactions. When I click the new accounts, there are 4 'blocks' shown: Total Value, Portfolio by Security, Top Movers, and Value Over Time. How do I get to where I can enter future transactions, e.g., MRDs from the IRAs and purchases into the non-IRA account?
  • studpup
    When you're viewing one of your investing accounts, click Enter Transactions. It'll then pop up a box where you can select the type of transaction and details, such as deposits, withdrawals, Income (dividends/interest), and other less common things like stock splits, etc.
    Your MRD might be to create a new transaction to Sell some of your FBGRX and put the proceeds into your checking account.

wags Glad to be here!

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Attached image.png immediately below shows what I get with the new accounts - I don't see how to enter transactions. When I click one of my existing accounts, I have the capability to enter transactions.
  • ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Here's the image of one of the existing accounts
  • studpup
    The quick way to Portfolio view is to press Control-U.

wags Glad to be here!

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you are in the new Simple view for investments.  Look up in the menus to switch it to Complete.  I don't know where or how.  I'm searching.  One post I found says.....(so you probably turn on Complete the same way)
    If you want to use the Simple Investing mode you need that preference set and to go to the Account Details of each account you want to use it in and turn it on there.

Note turning it on the account register is not displayed, instead you just get graph and tables, so it probably isn't useful if the account is manual entry.  I'm not sure how it will behave for QIF imports.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• studpup
    I see the Enter Transactions button below the name of the account. That button lets you add new transactions to the account you're viewing.

Just a quick note, you probably want to blur, black out, or delete parts of the screen that contain personal info, balances, account numbers, etc. "Community" is a public forum, not a secure way to interact with Quicken employees. 

wags Glad to be here!

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    I can't see where you see the Enter Transactions button below any of the Blue Chip names.
  • ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Success - to change, I went to the Settings button and edited the account details to change from Simple to Complete. Thanks to you both.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's talking about on your second screen shot.  It says enter transactions right above the list of transactions.  You don't have it in your first screen shot.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• studpup
    Oh, nice I didn't know you could turn that off... Thank you! :-D

wags Glad to be here!