Year- End Reinvested Capital Gains are not showing on Capital Gains Reports?

Cannot get quicken to show the reinvested capital gains reported by my mutual funds at year-end. Seems like only actual gains or losses on Buys and Sells are shown. This is the first time I payed much attention to these reports - trying to figure how much I'll owe the IRS since the capital gains are huge this year! What am I missing!
Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The report created by Reports > Investing > Capital Gains does only show "trades."
    But a report created by Reports > Spending > Income and Expense by Category will show separate line items for mutual fund distributions of ST and LT capital gains.  Capital gains distributions are taxable, reinvested or not.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tax reports (Tax Summary and Tax Schedule) will include the ST and LT cap gains distributions .  The Schedule D Report (Premier level and above) will include the LT cap gains distributions. 

To summarize with respect to Capital Gain Distributions and capital gains from trades:
    • Cap Gains Report -- ST and LT trades (Sells and Removes) only
    • Schedule D Report -- ST and LT trades and LT Cap Gain distributions
    • Tax Schedule Report -- Schedule D section for LT Cap Gain distributions; Schedule B Div section for ST Cap Gain distributions; no info on realized gains from trades   
    • Tax Summary Report -- LT Cap gains and ST Cap Gains separately tabulated, all realized gains lumped together (no LT/ST distinction)
    • Income/Expense by Category -- LT Cap gains and ST Cap Gains separately tabulated, all realized gains lumped together (no LT/ST distinction)
  • Ken429
    Ken429 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help. It's amazing, I have been using Quicken for many years and never notice that the Capital Gains Report only includes Buys and Sells! This is the first year - no RMD required - that I am concerned about Federal and State Taxes since in the past I always had Schwab and TRPrice withhold a bunch of Federal and State Taxes so I was "safe". Thanks again.
  • Ken429
    Ken429 Member ✭✭
    I'm back. Can someone tell me how to set up a "Schedule D Report" or a "Tax Schedule Report". etc., etc. I can't find them under the Reports and Graphs section?
  • Ken429
    Ken429 Member ✭✭
    Cancel the above request. I found what I was looking for under Planning>Tax Center. I was looking in all the wrong places?!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why you were not seeing the path through Reports menu selection

"Schedules" are only in Premier and above, as far as I know.

• Ken429
    Ken429 Member ✭✭
    Like I said, the answer was too obvious. I am using Quicken Premier and "Reports" is a menu option that I never tried until your example above! I really was looking in all the wrong places. One more time, thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.