Using Tags in reports

I have set up several tags for instance: core, FIRC, cleaning etc. Sometimes transactions require two tags, which I am told to separate with : for instance - core:FIRC

When I then run a report, I see the individual tags AND then an entry for the joint one. It's as if it has created a new tag core:FIRC, whereas all i wanted was to be able to create reports that show core and FIRC - but not together.

Is that possible? Am i doing something wrong?

richard
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To exclude the transactions with core:FIRC from the report, open the report, press Alt + C, select the Tags tab, enter ~core:FIRC in the Tags contains:  box.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I completely understand this question, so I'm going to ask.

Are you saying that you want each of the tags reported, but grouped separately?
    If so the only reports that do that are the "by tag" reports and even those aren't going separate out the transactions that have both on them.
    Example:

The main reason is because if it reported the ones that have both on them separated it would be double counting a given transaction.

And an example of "non by tag" report:

Whether you select tags by the check box in the tags tab or by what @Sherlock recommended this is how they are going to be grouped/displayed.

To show them separately you would have to use to different reports.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • richard172
    richard172 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the prompt responses. I'll tell you the situation. Certain expenses are classified as Core - because they are essential to the operation But they are also classified to a specific project. So i tagged them as core AND project thus core:weekend When I run the tag report I would like to be able to see those charges as core and those charges as weekend.

I would like to try @Sherlock suggestion. How do I create the tilde squiggle in Quicken, for exclude?

Thank you again for helpine me out.

Richard
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Look up on the top left of your keyboard.  Like on top of the 1 key or the key to the left of it.  So Shift+

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the prompt responses. I'll tell you the situation. Certain expenses are classified as Core - because they are essential to the operation But they are also classified to a specific project. So i tagged them as core AND project thus core:weekend When I run the tag report I would like to be able to see those charges as core and those charges as weekend.

I would like to try @Sherlock suggestion. How do I create the tilde squiggle in Quicken, for exclude?

Thank you again for helpine me out.

Richard
    Typically, the the tilde character should be entered using the Shift key and the key just below the Esc key on the keyboard. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what is worth @Sherlock syntax didn't work for me when selecting multiple tags.
    It worked fine for one.  But not for multiple tags.  On the other hand it doesn't sound like what you want anyways.  ~ is for "exclude this", and it sounds more like you want "include only this".

As in you want: core:weekend in the text box.  That would give you a report that only includes core:weekend.  Note the order is important, it isn't the same as weekend:core.

If ~core:weekend "worked" it would mean give me all the transactions that don't have that tag combination.  But it didn't work for me.  Whereas ~core did exclude core.

I might add that if you wanted both say core:weekend and core:somethingelse, I dont see any way to do that.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You googled the same page as I did,
    https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/t/tilde.htm

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @richard172
    I am not sure what base report you are working from.  

Starting from a Banking Transaction report, you can customize to only report transactions with tag = core (for example).  The report will include core:FICR, FCIR:core, core:weekend and core.  If you'd like, you can subtotal by tag so that all like pairings are grouped and totaled. 

Separately, you can ask for other individual tags.  
  • richard172
    richard172 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your kindness. Ugh. I cant believe I searched the keyboard and didn't spot ~ when I knew it had to be there! I shall try your suggestions. Richard
  • netguydave
    netguydave Member ✭✭
    I want the report to only show FICR in its own report.

Thanks richard172 for posting this...I ran into the same challenge.

Is it correct to summarize that when you create a Tag called FICR and it is always paired with the Tag core (core:FICR) then there is no way to run a report just showing FICR...because it is always paired with core...is this correct?

I ran the banking report and subtotal by Tag, which gave me core:FICR but not core then FICR.

Did I miss something? Thanks
  • netguydave
    netguydave Member ✭✭
    I see the flaw to my logic...if FICR is always paired with core then that is the report i need. If I were to somehow to run a report with just FICR then it will be the same as core:FICR.

Everyone can disregard my post...thanks.
This discussion has been closed.