Categories

I'm not a new user but don't know where to put this question. I am using Windows and have the latest build. Ever since I can remember, quicken lumps banking, investing, and property & debt values when I open up the software, then shows net worth at the bottom. Is it possible to parse out credit cards from banking? So, it would show banking, credit cards, investing, and property & debt totals, then net worth?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ever since I can remember, quicken lumps banking, investing, and property & debt values when I open up the software, then shows net worth at the bottom."
    Quicken has so many places where this information is show it's not clear what you're looking at when the software opens.
    Are you referring to the "Account Bar", the vertical column showing all your Accounts that's either on the left or right side of the screen? 
    The Account Bar does break down your Accounts into logical categories, including separating credit card Accounts from checking and savings Accounts.  As far as I know this Account Bar has only limited customization and I don't think you can change the basic presentation.
    If you're referring to the Account Bar about the only thing I can think of suggesting is an uninstall and then a re-install of the software as it doesn't seem like the situation you describe would be a data corruption issue.  But, before uninstalling and then re-installing I suppose it wouldn't hurt to at least try a file verification.
    File > File Operations > Copy...
    Then using the copied file
    File > File Operations > Validate and Repair...
  • craigin805
    craigin805 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I'm referring to the account bar. Didn't know the name of it. I use both Quicken & Mint. I can eyeball investing on both programs and see they tie out, but mint separates banking and credit card. Neither programs appear to offer a customization.
  • Tom Young
    If you look at the picture I've posted you'll see a light gray line between Checking and Credit Cards and the same light gray line separate non-retirement and retirement Accounts.  This is the "out of the box" presentation and I'm not aware of any customization available here.  I assume that Accounts in the Banking area are properly identified as Checking/Savings/Credit Cards?  If the answer to that question is "Yes" then there does seem to be some underlying problem in the data file or the installation. 
  • craigin805
    craigin805 Member ✭✭
    In your example you have one of each type, so it's easily visible. In my scenario I have multiple accounts. I really want to see my checking and savings amount as a sum, and my credit card as a sum.
  • Tom Young
    Well I completely misunderstood what you were saying as I envisioned one long list of Accounts with no separation whatsoever.
    What you want to accomplish is easy enough with a customized report.  Click Reports > Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances.  Customize the report Date Range as "Earliest to date" with an Interval of "None" and save the report with a meaningful name.  Then whenever you want to see that detail just run that report.
  • craigin805
    craigin805 Member ✭✭
    I can make that work. I tried it. It worked well, but one brokerage account of 25 accounts show $103 too much. I can't spot anything of that value in the account that might cause a distortion. Did a validate/super validate and it didn't fix itself. I see it in other reports for that account. Have a feeling if i would have noticed it if it had been occurring very long. I'll have to watch it over the next few days as the balance changes.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    $103 difference over 25 investment accounts might just be rounding.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• craigin805
    craigin805 Member ✭✭
    It was one brokerage and i was able to find one transaction and fixed it.
This discussion has been closed.