How do I correct a placeholder when none are showing for an account?

:/ I'm trying to enter a simple sale and transfer cash transaction manually. Pop up says a placeholder exist on same data so no effect will be given to share balance. The transaction does not transfer the cash and no editing helps. Yet - no placeholder transactions appear for the account. BTW - all of my placeholder issues were created when I upgraded back in April.
Was this a bad release?

Best Answers

Answers

• Hitman77
    Hitman77 Member
    Thanks for the assist, but I don't download any of these transactions. There do not appear to be any placeholder transactions. That's what makes this so difficult to understand.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hitman77 said:
    Thanks for the assist, but I don't download any of these transactions. There do not appear to be any placeholder transactions. That's what makes this so difficult to understand.
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I suggest you check the Show hidden transactions preference and review the account's transaction list for any Entry or Added transactions without an Inv. Amt

Otherwise, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate instructions described in https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • Hitman77
    Hitman77 Member
    Deluxe R30.14
    Thank you - you are a genius! There was a hidden transaction which I could simply delete! I didn't know about this preference. :)
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious, only because I encountered what seems to be something similar.  You said that you didn't download any of "these transactions" but didn't make clear whether the Account has ever been a "connected" Account or always functioned as a "manual" Account with you making every entry.
    Presumably a pure manual Account that's never had downloads into it shouldn't have any placeholders in it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Tom Young said:
    I'm curious, only because I encountered what seems to be something similar.  You said that you didn't download any of "these transactions" but didn't make clear whether the Account has ever been a "connected" Account or always functioned as a "manual" Account with you making every entry.
    Presumably a pure manual Account that's never had downloads into it shouldn't have any placeholders in it.
    A user may add a placeholder transaction in an investment register: press Ctrl + N, and select Adjust Share Balance in the Enter transaction: pull-down menu.

Note: Placeholder transactions are also used to establish the initial holdings in a manual account.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps that's what happened in my case, though it was a test file with only a few test transactions in it.  You'd think that if I hit that key press combination accidentally I'd have noticed the prompt for information and cancelled.  But short of Magic, I guess that's the only logical explanation.  
  • Hitman77
    Hitman77 Member
    Tom - my account was never connected and never showed a placeholder account. I never had an issued until I upgraded my Quicken back in April. Maybe something happened during the upgrade? Maybe I fat-fingered something. Once I showed hidden transactions it was an easy fix, though.
This discussion has been closed.