"Update 401(k) holdings"

Hello, I simply want to keep track of the number of shares I hold in my 401k accounts. I have to adjust them manually as our financial institution doesn't play nice with anybody else. I have everything entered in manually. Time to update share balance. I want to find the easiest way to do this and I'm reading about a 401k wizard. I thought I might try that.

Supposedly I can find this 401k wizard in the drop down gear. I click on my 401k account. I click on the dropdown gear in the upper right. I see: Download positions, edit account details, update cash balance, etc. Is this where the 401k wizard should appear? If so, I don't have it. I'm r30.14 Quicken Premier.

Thank you

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    While the account setup to download, we will not see the Update 401(k) Holdings menu option:

If you want to maintain the account offline, I suggest you open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, Deactivate, ...
  • Hi Sherlock - Thank you for getting back to me. I really appreciate it!

When I go to Online Services I don't have an option to Deactivate. See pic 1. As I understand it, my account is not set up to download. That is, it is not connected to any financial institution. The share prices and account total value do update, but that's all. Also, I see that in your "gear" drop down you have different options from mine, see second pic. Maybe I have it set up wrong?
    When I edit my account details, I have it set up as Account type: 401k or 403(b).

Thanks again. I really want to get the positions straight and accurate and be able to update easily.

Cheers
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    xrbbaker said:
    Hi Sherlock - Thank you for getting back to me. I really appreciate it!

When I go to Online Services I don't have an option to Deactivate. See pic 1. As I understand it, my account is not set up to download. That is, it is not connected to any financial institution. The share prices and account total value do update, but that's all. Also, I see that in your "gear" drop down you have different options from mine, see second pic. Maybe I have it set up wrong?
    When I edit my account details, I have it set up as Account type: 401k or 403(b).

Thanks again. I really want to get the positions straight and accurate and be able to update easily.

Cheers
    To use the Update 401(k) Holdings wizard, you need to switch the Tracking Method to Complete - Positions and Transactions: open the account, press Ctrl + Shift + E, choose Complete - Positions and Transactions, select Yes and OK.
  • Ah. That's why I don't see it. I'm set up for Simple - Positions Only. I had just switched to Simple - Positions Only from the original "Complete" a month ago because I thought Simple would be more appropriate for me. What do you think would be best? The sole reason I have Quicken is to accumulate all my investments in one spot so I can see one view of everything like 60% stock 30% bonds, how much in US vs International, etc. Most of my investments work fine with Quicken. That is banks, credit union, brokerage, etc. However my/my wife's 401k does not. I simply need to update the share balances in those two accounts. The rest is auto and works great.

If that was your need, would you set up Simple or Complete - and then what would be the easiest way to update the share totals once done? Thanks again!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    xrbbaker said:
    Ah. That's why I don't see it. I'm set up for Simple - Positions Only. I had just switched to Simple - Positions Only from the original "Complete" a month ago because I thought Simple would be more appropriate for me. What do you think would be best? The sole reason I have Quicken is to accumulate all my investments in one spot so I can see one view of everything like 60% stock 30% bonds, how much in US vs International, etc. Most of my investments work fine with Quicken. That is banks, credit union, brokerage, etc. However my/my wife's 401k does not. I simply need to update the share balances in those two accounts. The rest is auto and works great.

If that was your need, would you set up Simple or Complete - and then what would be the easiest way to update the share totals once done? Thanks again!
    Personally, I steer away from relying on beta features but, If you want to use Simple - Positions Only, you may maintain the account using Update Cash Balance and Update Share Balance.
  • I really don't care if it's simple or complete. I just thought simple might be easier if I only wanted to update share balances. I'll give it a try in simple, now that I know I can't get to the wizard without leaving simple. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.