How to view Cash Source details on 401(k) account in Quicken

I see a button labeled Cash Source when I edit a transaction on my 401(k) account. I am using Quicken for Windows, Deluxe 2020 R30.14. Clicking the Cash Source button allows me to identify the cash source for the 401(k) transaction, whether it came from pre-tax or after tax funds, was a company match, etc. My question is how does this feature add value to my 401(k) transactions, and where can I see the results when entering the cash source?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately this feature appears to be only partially implemented. Quicken can track the cash sources for 401(k) accounts if they are identified in the downloads, but there is no report that shows them. 

The best you can do is click on Tools > Online Center and select your Financial Institution and account. On the Balances tab you can see the total for each cash source and on the Holdings tab you can see the totals by security and cash source as reported by your FI. Unfortunately there is no way to print this information. or match it to the data in Quicken.

Also the allowable cash sources are fixed and very limited and do not include Roth contributions for example.

Generally the detailed information on cash sources is available on the FI's website.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately this feature appears to be only partially implemented. Quicken can track the cash sources for 401(k) accounts if they are identified in the downloads, but there is no report that shows them. 

The best you can do is click on Tools > Online Center and select your Financial Institution and account. On the Balances tab you can see the total for each cash source and on the Holdings tab you can see the totals by security and cash source as reported by your FI. Unfortunately there is no way to print this information. or match it to the data in Quicken.

Also the allowable cash sources are fixed and very limited and do not include Roth contributions for example.

Generally the detailed information on cash sources is available on the FI's website.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • dlessmann
    dlessmann Member ✭✭
    Hi Jim. Thank you for the prompt reply. I checked in the Online Center but unfortunately my financial institution does not include this information in their downloads. I can get this information from their website but wonder if it is worth manually putting this into Quicken since the functionality is only partially implemented. Cheers!