Why does Norton report that Quicken requires access to my webcam?

FMP
FMP Member
I received an activity notification from my Norton antivirus program that "webcam access was attempted by Quicken CEF Subprocess" and was allowed by Norton. I do not understand why my Quicken finance program would need to access my webcam. Does anyone know why this would be necessary?

(title edited - splasher)

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @FMP

Just the CEFScreenshare application :)

That's correct, the Quicken.Screenshare application further below is the replacement and should not be deleted.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Answers

• FMP
    FMP Member
    I meant why does Quicken require access to my webcam
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @FMP

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd as I was taking a look around to see what could be causing it to ask for the webcam but didn't find anything except if maybe with screenshare it labels the webcam as a screen as well. That normally shouldn't affect us unless you've previously used screenshare with support. 

If you wouldn't mind could you show us the notification as well you received from Norton as well to see if there's any extra information attached. Another thing is you should be able to block the process if possible in Norton and I don't believe you should lose any functionality.

Once you get a chance let us know some more details and we'll see what we can find out.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• FMP
    FMP Member
    I screen printed it, but don't see an upload link. However, the notification states "Webcam access attempted by Quicken CEF Subprocess" Status: allowed
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @FMP

Thank you for taking the time to capture a screenshot. To share the screenshot with the Community, please drag the image into the comment box.

This will link the screenshot to the comment and allow us to see the image.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • FMP
    FMP Member
    Here is the screenshot
  • FMP
    FMP Member
    I posted the screen print awhile ago, but don't see any follow up response. Has anyone come up with an answer yet?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @FMP

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

The CEF subprocess routine is the older version of the software used by Quicken Support to share your screen.

As this is an out of date program, I would recommend deleting the CEFScreenshare program from your computer.  To do so, open File Explorer and search for a folder titled "Screenshare".  This program defaults to installing on the C drive so I would recommend checking there first.

Once found, right-click on the screenshare folder and select "Delete" from the menu that appears.

Once deleted you should no longer see the CEF subprocess routine appearing in Norton but please let us know if you continue to experience any issues.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • FMP
    FMP Member
    I have searched for screenshare with file explorer and nothing comes up in the search results
  • FMP
    FMP Member
    I did a manual search of the Quicken file folder and found a screenshare folder within it. Its date modified is the same as the other folders within Quicken folder. Should I still delete it? Would this still be the outdated process you described?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @FMP

Yes, that should still be the same process, but to be sure, please open the Screenshare folder and look for a program called "CEFScreenshare"

If you see this program, then yes that is the correct folder and please go ahead and delete the CEFScreenshare program from the folder.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thank you.

Sarah

• FMP
    FMP Member
    Within the Quicken folder, there are two items with cefscreenshare as part of the name. Do I delete both of these highlighted items or just the application? I assume the Quicken.Screenshare application further below is the replacement application. Are there any further items within the Quciken folder that shuld be deleted?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Answer ✓
    Hi @FMP

Just the CEFScreenshare application :)

That's correct, the Quicken.Screenshare application further below is the replacement and should not be deleted.

Hope this helps!

Sarah
  • FMP
    FMP Member
    Thank you
  • rilandon
    rilandon Member
    I was looking into using the Quicken bill pay, and could not get into it because my firewall popped up and blocked the "quicken CEF subprocess" so I came here and found this thread..
    if " quicken cef subprocess " is a screen share service , WHY IS IT RUNNING at all ?? Unless a user is asking for tech support there is no reason to launch a screen share service especially for a financial record keeping software..
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @rilandon

Thank you for your question.  The CEF Subprocess runs behind the scenes to provide a seamless experience when initiating a screenshare while connected with Quicken Support. 

To be clear, the process runs in the background but the actual screenshare program must be physically launched by going to the Help > Screenshare option.

Every time the screenshare program is launched, permission is requested to initiate a screenshare and a code provided that must be given to the Support Agent before your screen can be shared.

There are many behind-the-scenes routines and subprocesses that run when Quicken is launched.  These various processes help to facilitate the many features and online services provided in Quicken and are necessary for the program to function as intended.

I hope this information is helpful and if there are any further questions regarding our Privacy Policies, please visit here.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.