Investing Performance Report does not agree with Brokerage and Quicken Register

My Investing Performance Report is $429 higher than my brokerage account amount and Quicken Portfolio Register. The Performance Report agrees with my Asset Allocation Report, but just can't figure out why there is a $429 difference.

My Portfolio Register is $429 less than the Performance Report and Asset Allocation REport.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What part of the Investment Performance Report is disagreeing?  Ending Market Value?  What is the date range for the IPR?  What date is your brokerage statement using?

Portfolio Views (Ctrl-U) will show holding with many customize options.  Set the As of date accordingly.  What differences exist in share quantities, prices per share, or Market Value on a common date?

It is possible your brokerage is including 'Accrued income' in its statement.  That is income owed to you but not yet received.  Since it is not yet received, it is not (should not be) in your Quicken records yet.     
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Let me check it out----I'm still not getting notified when I receive a reply.
    Previously, I would get an e-mail alert----Not sure why this changed.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Vanguard 12/31/2020 Quicken Investment register $274,169
    Vanguard Brokerage on Line 12/31/2020 274, 169
    Quicken Investment Report 12/31/2020 274,602
    I don't know how to adjust the Quicken Invest report for -433
    This is driving me nuts-LOL
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Also----When I go to Asset allocation Reports, I'm also $433 off from my Quicken register. There has to be some way to adjust the 433 difference , but I tried via the register and that just made it worse.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would: 
    • Go to a Portfolio Value report (Shares, Quotes, Cost, G/L, and Balance) assuming that is $433 high agreeing with the Asset Allocation report and others. 
    • I'd compare that report security by security, line by line with the Vanguard site information. 
    • I'd copy that report to Excel and check the addition of all columns.
    • I'd copy the Quicken file from within Quicken (File / File Operations / Copy) and run a Validation and Repair on the copy.  See of the copy showed the same.
    • I'd consider going back in time to determine when the discrepancy first shows.  (Did end of November agree at the time?  Does it agree now?)  I'd don't know of a way to get the Securities Value shown at the bottom of the Account Transactions list to vary with time -- to show November 30 state when you have later transactions and prices.  As such you might have to be comparing the various Quicken reports at earlier times to Vanguard site information on those same earlier dates.       
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Very much appreciate your troubleshooting suggestions
    I have four Vanguard accounts and nailed it down to just one that is off by the $432.
    Is there some way to just plug in the number to get the investment report to agree with the registers?
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    I went to the Portfolio Value report and it agrees with my Quicken register and also Vanguard on line amount. The Performance Report is the problem, and it's $432 higher than it should be. There has to be some way to fudge this number to make everything in agreement.
    My Asset Allocation Report is also $432 off because of this difference.
    The Quicken Register is correct.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fudging on those reports possible.  

The Asset Allocation might help to track this down since it shows shares, quotes, and values.  The odd aspect becomes how it allocates 'shares'.  If you have 1000 shares of a fund that is 40% invested in Large caps, the report will show you having 400 shares of that fund under the Large Cap grouping.  That then makes it difficult to compare.

For the Investment Performance Report, you can subtotal by security.  Restrict to the single account.  The End Mkt Value for each security SHOULD agree with your Portfolio Value Report for same ending date.  All Securities should be included.  Cash is NOT included in when subtotaled by security, though cash Money Market securities would be included.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Investment Performance Report Year end is $145.031
    Portfolio Value Report Year End 144,651
    The $144,651 is the correct number and agrees with Vanguard Brokerage on Line
    Honestly, no clue why the Performance report is higher---
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2021
    In the Investment Performance report, if you select only the problem account and subtotal by security, you can compare the End Market Val results to the security values in the Portfolio Value report.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Markus1957---I'm still not getting notifications and just saw your reply.
    Portfolio Value Report for the problem account ending balance is $144,641.
    This number actually agrees with Vanguard statements for 12/31/20 and agrees with my Investment Register. However, The Investment Performance Report balance on 12/31/2020 is $145,031. The difference is $390.
    There is nothing to click on the Investment Performance Report to get a detailed breakdown of the securities.
  • markus1957
    There are 2 pull-down menus at the top of the report (Reports>Investing>Investment Performance), Date Range and Subtotal.  Select Subtotal by Security.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    As of 12/31/20 my Investment Performance Report by Security is now $144,641
    This agrees with my Investment Value Report---$144,641
    The problem is that when I don't subtotal , the Investment Performance report total is #145,031-----Still $390 off
    This just doesn't make any sense
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By default, all securities are included in the Investment Performance Report which includes the "No security (includes cash)" selection.  When subtotaled by Security, the "cash" component is not included, where as it is included with Subtotal = None.  Does the varying $400 +/- amount correspond to the end of period cash amount in the account?
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    That unfortunately did not make a difference. Thanks for the reply.
    Still no idea how to get this in agreement.
  • markus1957
    In the problem account register, click the Holdings button at the top.  Take a look at the table and details below to see if anything stands out there.

Another place to look is in Tools>Online Center.  Select Vanguard and the problem account.  Click Compare to Portfolio and see if anything stands out there.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Markus1957----My Ending 12/21/2020 balances all agree----$144,641
    I think at this point I'll just let it go and not use the Investment Performance Report for this account.
    Thanks and appreciate your feedback
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    I noticed on the Investment Performance Report that it shows beginning market values on the left and ending market values on the right for the same dates.
    These amounts don't agree, even though it's the same date. Really confused.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary R said:
    I noticed on the Investment Performance Report that it shows beginning market values on the left and ending market values on the right for the same dates.
    Please explain and if possible attach a screen shot, with personal info removed.

The IPR is normally set to cover a period of time, typically 1 year or more.

The beginning market value is based on the previous day's closing price, so if you have it set to begin and end on the same date any price change on that date would make the beginning and ending values different.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Ok--I just set the dates t one year ending 12/21/20
    Investment Performance Report $145,032
    Portfolio Value Report 144,641
    Holdings detail 144,641

Can't find the $391 difference
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirming: All the reports are set to end on the same date?

I would set each report to subtotal by security and compare to see which securities disagree.

Then move the ending dates back in time until they agree and look for something unusual on the date they first disagree.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary R said:
    For the Investment Performance Report, you can set the beginning date and the ending date using the Custom Dates specifications.  More commonly, a longer generalized date period is used like "Last Year", or "Yearly".

The Beginning Market Value on the date indicated is actually the closing market value for the day before.  One can look at is as the value as the clock struck midnight and the day switched from the the day before to the day indicated. 

The Ending Market Value is similarly the midnight value as that day ends. 

I call you attention to the screenshot below which also an attached file below.  Two versions of the same IPR, one not subtotaled, one subtotaled by security.  In the background, the same set portfolio view for the ending date of 1/8/21.  I have pointed to the overall match on background Market Value to "not sub-totaled" Ending Market value (113,011.78).  I have also tracked the market values of the four securities to their parallel values in the IPR report subtotaled by security.  I have also tried to make it clear that "Cash" is included in the IPR report without subtotals.  It is not listed when subtotaled by security. 

I am not aware of any problems with the Investment Performance Report.  I am hoping this can clear up what you are seeing and how you can cross-check some of the values.  

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys--I will spend more time and try and figure this out
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    q-Lurker
    I did everything you recommended
    Custom 1 on the left of your page was $144,599
    Investment Performance by security agreed with above number.
    Investment Performance--Don't subtotal is the problem---$145,032
    It's off by $433
    I think you guys have tried everything and appreciate your help, but I think I'll just let it go and won't bother with the investment report for this account.