DATE FIELD: How do we get Date field restored to proper use? - We're lost important data!

Options
With the last Quicken update, Quicken has needlessly taken away an end-user data field. I believe it was in error, but it needs to be corrected. I fear that the historical data has probably been lost forever, but we need this field restored to us quickly.
On my checking account register (and some other registers) I have 2 date columns: Date and Posted.
The Date field is a user field defined by Quicken as “The date on which the transaction occurred” The Posted field is defined as “The date on which your financial institution posted the transaction".
For example, when I write a paper check I enter the date of the check in the Date field. When the the check is cleared at the bank (days or weeks or longer later) and the data is downloaded to my Quicken account, the bank’s posted date is entered by Quicken into the Posted field. All is good. The user knows when the check was written and when it was posted.
NO LONGER ! Now when the bank’s posted date is downloaded, Quicken takes the posted date and enters it into both the Posted field (as it should) and overrides the Date field also with the same posted date.
NEEDLESS DUPLICATION at the loss of important user data.
Note that as a result, reports will not contain checks (or other entries) based on when the transaction took place (e.g., check was written) but when the transaction is posted. Do you want checks written at month end or year end in the time period they were written or not until they clear the bank. If the former, that’s no longer possible. If the latter, I guess you need to use the Posted field to run your reports.
HOW DO WE GET THIS CORRECTED ?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There is a Preference setting in your Quicken data file which controls whether you want Quicken to use the date you manually entered or the date of the downloaded transaction. 

It sounds like you have that box checked, and you don't want it checked. Many users prefer too have the date of their manually-entered transaction changed to be the date it clears the bank, and that's why there's a preference that lets you decide which way you'd like to work.

So to answer your question about how to get this "corrected", simply uncheck the box if that's your preferred way of working with your data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There is a Preference setting in your Quicken data file which controls whether you want Quicken to use the date you manually entered or the date of the downloaded transaction. 

It sounds like you have that box checked, and you don't want it checked. Many users prefer too have the date of their manually-entered transaction changed to be the date it clears the bank, and that's why there's a preference that lets you decide which way you'd like to work.

So to answer your question about how to get this "corrected", simply uncheck the box if that's your preferred way of working with your data.
  • BillOrmond
    Options
    Well, I hope it is that easy. I spent over an hour this morning with a rep. of Quicken and he had no idea how to fix it and believed, even after talking to his supervisor, that what he was seeing on my register was the way it was supposed to be.

Could someone please give me a clue to where to find this box I'm need to check that suddenly has changed? Please?
  • jacobs
    Options
    In Quicken Preferences. On the Connected Services tab.
  • BillOrmond
    Options
    thank you - I've never touched that - - everything was fine until an update a day or 2 ago
This discussion has been closed.