starting over! (Q Mac)

Options
Eugenia Taylor
Eugenia Taylor Member
I have been using Quicken for years, and apparently set it up incorrectly to begin with. I would like to "start over" with the new year, setting up accounts properly. I have Quicken Deluxe6.0.3; it is scheduled for renewal on 1/21. I want to preserve the information for 2020. I basically use it for tracking expenses and generating tax reports at year end. I do not see an option for Quicken Deluxe in the set up.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Eugenia Taylor  I apologize, but I'm unclear what your question is. You already have Quicken Deluxe, right? And you want to start from scratch, but be able to preserve your 2020 data, right?

One option is to truly start from scratch: select File > New, Start from Scratch, and away you go. Because you can still open your old file at any time to access your 2020 data. Rename your new or old file File > Rename to something meaningful to you which will be clear it's your new, post-2020 file.  So you might have "Eugenia's Finances" and "Eugenia's Finances [OLD]", or whatever would make clear when you're opening these from your Dock or menu which one you want to open at any time.

The other option is to work with your existing data file, trying to morph it into the new set-up of accounts, categories, etc. That can prove more complicated, but it's certainly do-able. If you want to go down that road, post back and indicate what obstacle or questions you have about trying to re-configure your existing data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Varonq
    Varonq Member
    Options
    How to close files for year-end reports on Mac. I used Quicken for Windows for about 10 years. Now I'm on an iMac and the Quicken program is slightly different. The problem I'm having is that when I print reports with a different start date, the totals don't match my records. Any suggestions?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @varonq  For the future, if you have a question that's unrelated to the original post, just start a new question. It helps threads stay on the original subject, and it helps you get more eyes on your question so you'll hopefully get the best advice.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. In Quicken Mac, you do not close anything for year-end reports; you just specify Last Year or the date range you want for any reports you run. I have no idea what reports you've run or why they're different from what you think they should be. I'd suggest creating a new question where you give details about what you're doing (e.g. what report? what parameters?) and why you think what's in the report isn't correct.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.