Manual Update of Stock and Mutual Fund prices - Quicken for Mac 2021

RalphS
RalphS Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I have a number of segregated mutual funds in my account where the daily price cannot be automatically updated online. In the window version it is easy to update these by clicking on my portfolio and then the price of the fund and changing it. In the Mac version I have to go into each security and add the price, which is more cumbersome. Is there a quick data entry way of updating prices on the Mac version?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @RalphS  Yes, this is cumbersome in the current Quicken Mac. I have two suggestions:

(1) If you are going to Window > Securities, finding the security, double-clicking to open it, clicking on the Price History tab, and then entering the new price, there is a slightly less onerous way with fewer clicks. If you have clicked on the account in the left sidebar which contains securities you need to enter prices for, in the Portfolio window, set the second filter to Group by Security so you are seeing a list of the securities in that account. From here, you can double-click on a security name and a small pop-up box will give you the choice of Edit Security or Security Overview. Click Edit Security, followed by Price History. So it's three clicks to get to where you can enter a price, and once you've done it a few times, it become pretty fast to do.

(2) That said, it's still bunch of clicking around. I'm not familiar with the Windows version, but the legacy Quicken 2007 for Mac allowed users to set a date in the Portfolio view and then enter the price for that day directly in the Portfolio window -- no extra clicking around. There's an Idea request for the developers to add a comparable functionality to modern Quicken Mac: click here to see the thread, and be sure to add your vote for us by clicking the little gray arrow under the vote counter in the blue box beneath the first post. The more people who vote for this feature, the more likely it is to be accepted by the developers for implementation, and the higher it may be placed on their priority list.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @RalphS  Yes, this is cumbersome in the current Quicken Mac. I have two suggestions:

(1) If you are going to Window > Securities, finding the security, double-clicking to open it, clicking on the Price History tab, and then entering the new price, there is a slightly less onerous way with fewer clicks. If you have clicked on the account in the left sidebar which contains securities you need to enter prices for, in the Portfolio window, set the second filter to Group by Security so you are seeing a list of the securities in that account. From here, you can double-click on a security name and a small pop-up box will give you the choice of Edit Security or Security Overview. Click Edit Security, followed by Price History. So it's three clicks to get to where you can enter a price, and once you've done it a few times, it become pretty fast to do.

(2) That said, it's still bunch of clicking around. I'm not familiar with the Windows version, but the legacy Quicken 2007 for Mac allowed users to set a date in the Portfolio view and then enter the price for that day directly in the Portfolio window -- no extra clicking around. There's an Idea request for the developers to add a comparable functionality to modern Quicken Mac: click here to see the thread, and be sure to add your vote for us by clicking the little gray arrow under the vote counter in the blue box beneath the first post. The more people who vote for this feature, the more likely it is to be accepted by the developers for implementation, and the higher it may be placed on their priority list.
  • RalphS
    RalphS Member ✭✭
    Yes I do use the Group by Security filter but as you say.. still a lot of clicking. The Windows version works the same as the Quicken 2007 for Mac version. So it's not like the developers don't think it is a good feature. I will add my name to the list voting for this feature to be added and hope for the best.
  • jacobs
    As with many things missing or not-optimal with Quicken Mac when compared against Quicken Windows or the legacy Quicken Mac 2007, its not always a matter of the developers not thinking something is a good feature. Sometimes they're not aware people use features in a specific way until users hammer it home. But more often, it's just an issue of a lot of feature requests competing for the limited time of a small team of programmers, and how they prioritize all those requests. Some features require many months of work to implement, and so the pace of development is not as quick as anyone would like. The developers have often prioritized adding things which simply could not be done or worked around, as opposed to a request like this, which would make it faster/easier/more pleasing to work with the program but doesn't add something new that the program previously couldn't do. 
  • jacobs
    For anyone reading this thread, this feature was implemented in version 6.7.
This discussion has been closed.