Any way to fix how morningstar x-ray identifies my muni bonds in premier?

Larry Woodbridge
Larry Woodbridge Member ✭✭
edited January 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I've been using quicken premier for awhile now and I notice that the Morningstar x-ray feature identifies all the municipal bonds as cash. is there any way to correct this? They are properly identified on the security list.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I ask how you determined that bonds are identified as cash?

I find a % for bonds in the portfolio but that value does not directly correspond to what I believe is accurate.  I do not know, for sure, what the X-Ray view does to get their values.  I see effective duration and maturity figures for the bonds, but do not know the source of that info.  CUSIP?  Bond Funds? My data file and entered maturity dates?

I am not sure how reliable X-Ray is when data may be broken down and 'types' set differently in different files.   
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to tell how the X-ray is treating a security is to include only that security at the top of the X-ray window.

Also you can go to Morningstar's website and enter the ticker to see how they classify it. Generally M* is better at classifying stocks than bond funds. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to tell how the X-ray is treating a security is to include only that security at the top of the X-ray window.

Also you can go to Morningstar's website and enter the ticker to see how they classify it. Generally M* is better at classifying stocks than bond funds. 
    Which validated my expectation.  Including only one bond (not bond fund) came back with the message "At least one investment account with exchange traded securities needs to be selected ..." (or words pretty close to that).  I don't think most (any?) municipal bonds qualify as exchange traded securities.  

The OP asked about "municipal bonds", not bond funds.  Various bond funds, I find with some cash (1-5%) but mostly bonds.  

And the answer to OP's question become -- No you can't do anything about how Morningstar classifies the securities.   
  • Thanks. The way I identified x-ray was classifying muni bonds as cash was to isolate x-ray to work only on the account where I held the bonds. Looks like there's no solution.